Water in tank turned cloudy!

Serenith
Water in new tank turned cloudy!

So I'll admit that I am completely new to the aquarium word. In the past I did have a beta, Mona (Named after Big Mona from a Scooby-doo movie.), in a 10 gallon tank. But there was nothing special I did for him. (I should have done more research, I didn't. Be that as it may he did live a bit over 3 years.

ANYWAYS. I bought a 20 gallon tank recently as I'd love the idea of some pretty water babies. I rinsed out my gravel and decorations first and after putting those in, added the water. I used something to add in the water.. I think it was a general conditioner? I am not home to say so I'll add that later. Anyways my plan was to let it run for a week and then add fish if the levels came out good. It's been 4 days since its been running. On the second day I did add two plants ( I THINK Java fern. The other I'm not sure. ) and I did put these root tabs in the gravel underneath them. The third day everything seemed fine, but I wasn't stalking the tank. Now it's the fourth day and the water is cloudy. Not only that there is debris on the gravel. Light maybe light brown. When I pushed the gravel around it just came off into the water like dust. The places that had these spots weren't near where I put the root tabs were placed ( underneath the plants buried a bit further. ) When the filter is pulled out its orange where the water has been filtering though.
Please help! And keep in mind that I am very new. And I've been stalking the forums and I see how people are properly doing tanks so I may have made some mistakes with the root tabs. *shrug* >.<

Please see pics at

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Edit; API quick start is what I used on my tap water.

SamTheFishGuy
Its probably Ammonia, You tank is still cycling. Mines did that, but only once because I used Top Fin Bacteria Supplement to kickstart the cycling. Dose it look like smoke in the water?

Serenith
It definitely does. (API quick start is what I used on my tap water.

SamTheFishGuy
well I would take out all fish. if the water looks like smoke in the water than its very high levels of ammonia. Just let the tank cycle, and how long has it been cycling for?

Serenith
I haven't added any fish. I was waiting for it to cycle before adding any fish. It's been 5 days now. Do you have any suggestions what to do? Or should I just wait? I'll also search the forums to see what others have done.

SamTheFishGuy
Serenith I would just wait.

Serenith
So it's normal for it to go cloudy and then return to normal? ( sorry, still trying to figure out this cycling business.)

SamTheFishGuy
yes

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views
Jeezusjuiicee
Replies
Views
Axemaniac88