water houseplants?

barbacker

Reaction score
HI all. We've got a 70 gallon bowfront tank that's been set up since June. When I do my water changes I was wondering if the aquarium water is safe to use on my houseplants, or in the garden (come summertime anyway) Especially when I vacuum the gravel and get a lot of the "material" from the bottom. My husband says that it's probably too acidic. Seems to me it'd be good fertilizer. Any ideas? Thanks!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your house plants will love it, just like giving them liquid "fertilizer" Since I siphon my water out into the yard the garden and lawn love.
Carol

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
It's GREAT fertilizer. I clean my tanks with a python, and hook it up to my house in the front yard. My plants are so green and healthy looking!

OP
B

barbacker

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Now I can tell my husband, "see, I told you so!" lol

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
I'd never thought about it! I hurl the bucket of tank water onto my back garden as the door to the back garden is near the tank. to carry full bucket of grubby water through house to sink would end in disaster (i'm very clumsy!) and I also don't fancy fish waste in my sink where I wash the dishes (i'm a bit obsessive about germs!!). glad to know it will do good to my garden!! ;D

MamaM

Reaction score
Oh, I so can't wait until summer to do this!! (If I did it now, it would turn to ice! It's -2 degrees F outside right now!!!) I never thought about it before, but it makes sense and it helps the environment, too!

LilaBean

Reaction score
THAT IS FANTASTIC!!!it's definitely a hazard carrying our water to the bathroom-- Thanks for that tid-bit!! LILA

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I rotate water changes between houseplants and our various gardens outside. You can tell that more of the water gets to the gardens closer to the house because the plants are doing great. (I've got lillies right outside the front door that are already six inches, and we had a huge snowfall last month).

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
That would explain why my front lawn was doing so great last year, I always carried it up the stairs and out the front door(closer than back) and hurled the big 30-35L bucket full of water onto the lawn and was wondering why the grass and surrounding plants did so well. That is very useful, have to tell my parents that.
Tom

Joy44

Reaction score
Wow, I was wondering that same thing. Great advice and my plants will thank you.

New Threads