Water hoppers?

1. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Just did a water change on one of my tanks and as I went to close the lid afterwards I briefly wondered if I'd accidentally used Club Soda instead of water! You know how the bubbles send tiny droplets of water into the air from the top of the glass? It looked like that! I looked closer though and realized that where they should have disappeared back into the water they were skimming the surface and they were little brown things. I expect they're bugs of some kind (hence why I chose the "Invertebrates" section to post my question) but I don't know what they are! They're about the same size as copepods but I thought those stayed submerged.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

You have pest snails in the tank? Also, any chance you can get a pic?

4. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

Yep! I made the mistake of adding a single ramshorn but I guess with all the extra food I added for the Mysteries s/he was happy enough to start reproducing and I have little baby snails all over the place!

But baby snails don't hop. I think these must be crustaceans of some sort, shrimpy things, springtails maybe.

I'll try to get a picture, but I don't have much hope...

OK, clearest shot I could get. There are 2 "bugs" just to the right of the salvinia leaves floating in the middle of the picture, towards the back of the tank:

IMG_20160703_104106792.jpg

5. Bithimala

Well, if they're jumping, that kills my pond snail theory... any bugs around that may have gotten into the tank?

6. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

Nope! Except for giant house flies and I'm pretty sure these aren't those;)

7. LWormy

LWormy Valued Member Member

Those are springtails. Completely harmless and eats floating debris and algae right above water level. Guppies and other top feeders love them. I have thousands in my tank and they are great.

8. LWormy

If they are what I think they are, they are insects, not crustaceans. Here's a link to Wikipedia and that's probably what you have. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podura_aquatica

9. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

They're so cute!!! Mine look brownish though, rather than grey-black. Maybe it's just my lighting or the fact that I add tannins to my water. The description certainly fits! Thanks!

10. LWormy

Your welcome! Have fun with your springtails!

11. Bithimala

Is that in your sorority? If so, I'm guessing the girls are going to be thrilled.

12. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

No, but I suspect their presence explains the tetras' recent behaviour;)