Water Help

Meg737

Reaction score
My betta has a mild case of fin rot so I put him in a 1 Gallon hospital tank with some aquarium salt changing the water daily for a week. He looked like he was getting better so I moved him back into he normal 4 Gallon tank. It’s been another week and it seems his fin rot is coming back, is it to early to put him back into the little tank with aquarium salt? Will it hurt him in anyway??

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't move him, you can easily treat him in the 4 gallon. Have you tested your water and did you cycle the tank? I'd leave him in the 4 gallon and I would recommend daily water changes to keep the water clean. Clean water should get the job done, its all I use for fin rot. How bad are his fins?

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aquarium salt can help him, but there isn't much use to it if he is going back into potentially dirty water after (which is why its good to test it). He'll just get sick again. Water changes work well too, especially if the tank isn't cycled. Its all I've ever had to use. I don't like moving my fish around too much, especially if there is another option available to me.

Deku-Cory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keep up with the salt treatment and the daily water changes in the larger tank. It doesn't harm anything to change the water often in his main tank. If the fin rot refuses to get better, then there are medications to treat it. But it sounds like clean water and salt will do the trick.
It's also possible that you could be seeing fin regrowth rather than fin rot. Fin regrowth can start out looking like fin rot. The way to tell the difference is to pay attention to the position over time. If it's encroaching on the existing fin, it's fin rot. If it's growing out from the fin, it's fin regrowth. Either way, regular water changes will help immensely.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom