Water Has Turned Cloudy...

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by chadcf, Jun 17, 2018.

1. chadcf

chadcf Valued Member Member

My tank has been set up for about 6.5 months now. Yesterday I noticed the water started getting a bit cloudy, today it's even worse. There are two things I can think of that have changed...

1. I added 4 new fish. 2 smaller glofish to replace two zebra danios I lost, and 2 baby peacock gudgeons. Never had cloudy water after adding fish before though... These were added on friday morning.
    2. I've been doing a snail prune and have removed probably 100+ ramshorn snails from the tank over the last few days.

Water numbers look good, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-20ppm nitrates. Fish all seem happy and normal. I do feel like I'm missing some amano shrimp but it's hard to say because they're good at hiding, but I am wondering if it's possible some of those died and are decaying contributing to the problem? But I don't know if they died or not, I did accidentally leave the lid open a bit this week and I've had amanos escape before (found some 30 feet away in a different room before). Also they could just be well hidden in the tank.

I'm wondering if it might be the snails... Perhaps they were cleaning up a bunch of leftover food and now that I removed a bunch there is more decaying organic matter in the tank? Not sure how feasible that is...

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Probably something decaying in the tank that you can’t see. I’d try Seachem Purigen to clear your water if you don’t find anything.

3. OP
    OP
    chadcf

Yeah I was thinking about that, I think I'll pull out the big fake wood decoration and vacuum around really well. With the tank as currently set up I can really only vacuum a small bit of it in the front.

4. OP
    OP
    chadcf

Well did a thorough clean today, I did not find anything dead or rotting. Lots of gunk built up in the gravel of course. I removed my big 'reef' decoration and moved driftwood around and vacuumed everywhere. Also did a deep clean on the filters, so it should be pretty free of organic matter now. I tried some seachem clarity last night but it didn't seem to do much, did a 50% water change today with the gravel cleaning so we'll see how it goes.

5. edevingo

edevingo Valued Member Member

Every year around this time, I have issues with my water clarity. Apparently it's my tap water, whatever they put in it around this time of year causes my tanks to frankly look like sh#! Last year I purchased a UV sterilizer and within a day I could tell a huge diffrence. I don't run them all the time, I actually just put them back in because the cloud was coming back and thankfully it only took a day.
    I'd have to imagine in the spring maybe all the allergens get into our tap around here and cause it. Not sure but thank goodness for UV. Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice