Water has greenish tint under light Question

1. cwb141 Member Member

So, I just added a piece of swampwood (large) to my tank and the water has a greenish (a little brown) tint to it now. I didn't notice this before I added the wood. I think it might just be the reflection of the light off such a large surface of wood, but could it be something else?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not very familiar with real wood, but yes it could be a number of things. For starters, the wood releases tannins in the water that wll turn it a tea color. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you more.

3. cwb141 Member Member

Does the tea color eventually fade? My fish haven't shown any signs of stress so I' m not worried, it's just less pleasing to view.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Maybe EVENTUALLY, but not any time soon. Water changes will help. Not sure if carbon will help. The fish won't mind. I've heard of people who initially complained, but soon took a liking to the stained water color....

5. cwb141 Member Member

I guess it's more natural, especially for tropical freshwater

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That it is. Like I said though, I'm not familiar with driftwood and am basing this solely on what I've read.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello CWB. Activated Carbon will help to remove the tannins (brown tint) from the water caused by the driftwood. Below is a link you may find helpful and or interesting:
    Driftwood Do's & Don'ts
    Ken

8. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

What kind of lighting do you have? Could it be the way the reflection from the light bulb (s) on the wood?

9. cwb141 Member Member

The water is starting to clear up now. I have carbon filters. Thanks for letting me know Aquarist. I have two 24" Eclipse natural light emitting bulbs. There is a reflection off the wood, but the that doesn't affect the entire tank, so I'm assuming it was tannin and that it should clear up even more in the next few days.

10. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

Well, that;s good news.
    Beth

11. cwb141 Member Member

water is clearer than before but I don't care about tea color as much now

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That's great!

13. cwb141 Member Member

These are pics right after a water change and 1 week after a 20% WC. In order to get the water as clear as the first pic I have to do a 50% WC, but that caused some problems last time I did that. Used an out dated dechlorinator and killed off a large portion of my bacteria colonies. Ammonia and nitrite levels rose to .25

Attached Files:

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A lot of people like the stained water look. Whether they actually like it or have just learned to like it I don't know :D