Water hardness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paicavi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, I'm loosing yet another Molly to swim bladder desease. (5 now). The only think I can think of is that the water here is super hard ( hardest in the strip). Parameters are ok, ammonia 0.25(not perfect), nitrites 0, nitrates around 5-10. I'm changing water daily with prime and today I had to take him out and put him the almost cycled qtank because the other male was really attacking him!!!! Never seen him do that. I'm at a lost. Can I treat the water? Could that cause swim bladder problems?

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mollies can tolerate even Saltwater so it's not the hardness of the water (whether the temporal hardness named Alkalinity/Carbonate Hardness/KH or the stable one called General Hardness/GH).

What you describe as swim bladder disease might just be ammonia poisoning. The strip test that attempt to measure ammonia are quite unreliable (nitrates/nitrites on the other hand are quite acceptable in strips).

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like your tank is fully cycled or is unable to handle bio-load from the overstocking if this is your 10 gallon tank listed in your profile, which also indicates you have 5 mollies plus a few fry in this tank.

I've had mollies that were overly prolific when kept in hard water. Male mollies fight for dominance. If you have more than 1 male in such a small tank, they could be fighting causing damage. Your male sailfin alone is all I would keep in a small tank as he will get around 4 inches.

OP
P

Paicavi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have an API ammonia test kit and check it often. I feed very little and with good variety, temp is in the upper 70s. I don't know what else to do. I thought I finally got it right and then this. Besides water conditions I just don't know what else to do. I don't feel like gettin another tank now untill I get this one right. Please help my prevent any more fish getting sick with this. The little guy is now at the bottom of the q tank but very much alive.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

So sorry to hear about your fish. Here is a link you may find helpful:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/swimbladder.php

Keep up with your daily water changes of 30 to 50% until you get your cycle back. Add some Prime or Amquel + to detox the ammonia for 24 hours until it's time for the next water change. When you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates you've regained your cycle. Any amount of ammonia can be harmful to your fish.

Swim bladder disease can be caused by several different things. Fish fighting, parasites, poor water conditions.

Best wishes,
Ken

OP
P

Paicavi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well I'm dpwn to 3 mollies and 2 tetras and 1 babie. I change the water a lot. I didn't think it was overstocked, isn't it a good ratio 1 fish per 2 gallons?. Mind you my tetras are super small and my gold dust is not bog either

OP
P

Paicavi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanx Ken for the web site, it was very usefull. I put him on my qtank to give him peace and quiet but I'm not sure he is going like the water quality. I'm going to chanche water with prime and add some megafix since it doesn't have a filter. It's a 1 gallon so I can keep it clean. Unfortunately I've not seen one survive though yet. I'm really bummed that this keeps happening. I'm getting another female tomorrow to even the odds.
Thanks for your help

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Where the Greatest Team of All resides ;)
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry to hear you're losing your mollies

Unfortunetly, as people have said, your mollies do overstock your tank. They get up to 4 inches long. They are better suited to a 20 gallon tank.

I have never heard of a ratio 1 fish per 2 gallons - it sounds incredibly flawed. Fish come in all different sizes and shapes, and they all have different space requirements. Mollies get to 4 inches long - would a 4 inch long molly be happy in a 2 gallon? No

There is an rule that is something like 1 inch of fish per gallon. This is also flawed, and only has relevance when talking about small tetra-sized fish. A goldfish for example, that is only 2 inches long, has a much heavier bioload than a 2inch long tetra.

I don't think buying more fish is a good idea right now, considering your tank hasn't finished cycling. I know you want to stop the fighting, I've been right where you are myself Feel free to wait for what other members have to say, but you'd be better off taking one of the males back to your LFS and waiting til the tank finishes cycling. Then you can make some decisions about your stocking

I can't really offer any advice on the swim bladder problems, but hopefully once your tank is cycled, you won't have this problem. Good luck!

OP
P

Paicavi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You're right Rhan it was the 1 inch per gallon rule I heard. See the thing is, I'm pretty sure my tank is cycled (I could be wrong of course) but it's been up and running for 4 months now. I'm curious, I alwas thought mollies only get 2' long. Also the advise that I've recieved is that you want more females than males. Now I have one and one, that's why I was going to get another female, but I don't want to mess it up

OP
P

Paicavi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, I'm sorry to say that I had to put my Molly down, he was not well at all. I went down to the city though and bought an API master kit and the water is fine!!! I'll just keep my 2 remaining mollies and the 2 lemon tetras untill I get a 30g. :-(

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Where the Greatest Team of All resides ;)
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry you had to put your molly down

I agree with the female-male ratio, more females means that the constant affection (think harrassment ) is spread out a bit

It is quite suprising how large they can get, and unfortunetly looking at the fish at the LFS/LPS doesn't always give a good indication as they usually have young fish that are still quite small.

I guess now you've ruled out water problems, we can probably narrow it down to a combination of aggression and illness maybe?

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom