Water Hardness

remy113

Valued Member
Reaction score
Anybody knows a way to bring the hardness of my water down? The strips say it’s high but also I can see a dried white film if I think calcium forming on my glass and light and filter anybody know of a way to fix it with out at chemicals. It’s hard straight from the tap to start with

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
remy113 said:
Anybody knows a way to bring the hardness of my water down? The strips say it’s high but also I can see a dried white film if I think calcium forming on my glass and light and filter anybody know of a way to fix it with out at chemicals. It’s hard straight from the tap to start with
I also have hard water but my fish are fine with it and the calcium lines come off if you rub them every week when you do your WC.

I did initially have the same question though, and the two best natural ways i found were peat moss and tannis. Some people just put miss in their filter and rinse/ swap it out every so often. Tannis comes from driftwoods, almond leaves, etc that you might put in your tank. Eventually they stop releasing tannis though and must be replaced.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can cut your tap water with R/O or outside sourced water that is softer. There are chemical treatments you can add.

But you have to ask if altering your gH is strictly necessary. Livebearers and invertebrates thrive in hard water. As do some cichlids. Even fish traditionally considered "soft" water fish are often commercially raised in water that is harder and more basic than their wild forebearers .

So are you doing something that really requires altering your water chemistry? Or is it the aesthetic of calcium buildup getting you down.

If it's the latter, I recommend white vinegar. Works a treat, and overspray from a bottle won't harm your tank.

(In case you're wondering, my water registers as liquid rock, and I have had both cory and tetra, as well as livebearers, successfully spawn.)

remy113

Valued Member
Reaction score
maggie thecat said:
You can cut your tap water with R/O or outside sourced water that is softer. There are chemical treatments you can add.

But you have to ask if altering your gH is strictly necessary. Livebearers and invertebrates thrive in hard water. As do some cichlids. Even fish traditionally considered "soft" water fish are often commercially raised in water that is harder and more basic than their wild forebearers .

So are you doing something that really requires altering your water chemistry? Or is it the aesthetic of calcium buildup getting you down.

If it's the latter, I recommend white vinegar. Works a treat, and overspray from a bottle won't harm your tank.

(In case you're wondering, my water registers as liquid rock, and I have had both cory and tetra, as well as livebearers, successfully spawn.)
It’s doesn’t seem to be bothering the fish(gold fish 2) just hate the white build up and watered to make the tank look better with out the white build up

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
remy113 said:
It’s doesn’t seem to be bothering the fish(gold fish 2) just hate the white build up and watered to make the tank look better with out the white build up
Clean with white vinegar and use a scrubby . All will be well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom