Water Hardness

Tripp_theBetta

Reaction score
So I was just wondering how you can keep your water more on the hard side without letting it get unclean? From what I understand bettas perfer their water more on the harder side but the only time mine is at that point is a day or so before his weekly water change, I just want to give him his best fishy home, pls halp

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hardness and cleanliness of water are unrelated.
Perhaps you are thinking that Nitrates relate to water hardness? It is my understanding that water Hardness relates to the gH and kH levels of the tank, nitrates are the byproduct of the nitrogen cycle which breaks down the poisonous ammonia from fish excretions.
So your water should have a pretty stable hardness, but the nitrate level will fluctuate depending on how recently you changed the water in your tank.
However, I might be mis-understanding your question... if so please help me understand your concern better.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
On the contrary; bettas prefer softer, more acidic water! However, most bettas, unless wild-caught specimens, will adapt and thrive in a wide variety of water parameters.

As aforementioned, cleanliness and water hardness do not go hand-in-hand. Hardness is the measure of dissolved solids such as calcium, cleanliness is, well... how clean the tank is lol.

Tripp_theBetta

Reaction score
In case either of you were worried about him at all, the betta is doing swimmingly I decided to start him over and moved him from his 5gal to a new 10gal and got him some live plants, his water is nice and soft and now and he made a little buble nest for the first time!
IMG_20180501_101918.jpg
IMG_20180429_124644.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom