Water Hardness, How Important Is It?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by BrettMad, Aug 5, 2017.

1. BrettMad

BrettMadNew MemberMember

I see several references to this, and I know or at least I think that the basic idea here is to measure the amount of minerals in the water with hard water having more mineral content than soft water I do not know if it is all minerals or certain kinds.

The API master test kit does not include anything for water hardness. Is this more of a concern for saltwater tanks and something I do not really need to be aware of or is this a separate test kit I should be buying?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

It is very important, more important than pH.
    If it is too low, then the pH can swing a lot and stress out the fish.
    If it is too high, it may be unsuitable for wild-caught fish from acidic areas or just sensitive softwater fish like chocolate gouramis in general.

3. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918Well Known MemberMember

As Anders said, it's very important. You can buy a KH and GH test kit on line.

4. Caitlin86

Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

Here is an article that best describes ph, Kh and gh.

5. Celestialgirl

CelestialgirlWell Known MemberMember

Do you know if this was a recent article? I'd like to ask the author a question. I have fluctuating pH with moderate KH levels and high GH, which contradicts the article.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Brett!

6. Caitlin86

Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

@iZaO Jnr is the author...articles date was june 2017!

7. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

It was written a long time before that actually, it only says that as the date because of the update to the forum, Mike had to change some things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice