Water hardness for snails

1. foresthall

foresthall Valued Member Member

Anyone know the hardness requirements for snails. I've seen anywhere from 6dH to 12 dH. Does this sound right? I got a nerite last weekend. It moved around the day I put in the tank but that's it. Hasn't moved since. It doesn't appear to be dead and the trap door seems hard. This is the second snail I've had. Same problem with the last one. My parameters are all normal and my water hardness is at a 9 so I can't figure out the problem. Are they difficult to keep alive?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I believe GH of 9 and up is ideal for inverts though mine has been as low as 6 and my nerites which I've had for a year are doing just fine. If you did the sniff test and there is no smell, just keep an eye on it. Sometimes they take a while to adjust to new water conditions. Did you acclimate them the same way you do with fish?

3. OP
    OP
    foresthall

Yes, I acclimate them like the fish. I don't like to rush it, so I do it over about an hour period. I'll give it a while longer and see if anything changes. Right now there's still no odor. The fish store has really soft water in their tanks so maybe that has something to do with it? I'd just like the little guy to move. I like watching them move about

4. xxbyamomentx

xxbyamomentx Valued Member Member

I give new snails about three hours on super slow drip acclimation because I'm super paranoid. But an hour should probably be fine, too. What is your water temperature? If it's on the lower side, I know they can be less active.

You could always try to stick a fresh, salt free veggie in front of the little guy and see if that entices him to come out. I see one of my nerites on the green beans I give my apple snails sometimes, so maybe he'll get curious and check it out. I hope he's okay!

5. OP
    OP
    foresthall

The temperature is at about 76. I'll try a vegetable. Do they like green beans? I've got a bunch of fresh ones

6. xxbyamomentx

xxbyamomentx Valued Member Member

I'd give one a try, they're primarily algae eaters but I catch my nerites on the green beans quite a bit too. Water temperature seems fine, so that shouldn't cause any issues.