Water Hardness, Community Tanks and Rams

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by DeniseMichele, Jul 19, 2015.

1. D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

Hi all,

A week or two ago I posted my stocking plans for my 55gal community tank. Everyone seemed to think the stocking plan was good, however, after doing some more research I am not sure. My original plan was:
    - 8 corydoras (haven't decided for sure on what type, probably trilineatus)
    - 5 platy
    - 15 Rummynose Tetra
    - 1 Mystery snails
    - 3 mollies
    - 2 Gardneri killifish (may be switched with something else)

After getting some responses, I was convinced that I should replace the killifish with a pair of rams. Originally this was going to be GBR but after doing some more research I was going to go with Bolivian rams. So I did some more research and I am not sure if they will be okay with my water hardness as my water is slightly (moderately?) hard. My tap water readings (based on the API liquid kit) are:
    kH 125.3ppm / dKH 7
    gH 161.1 ppm / dKH 9
    dH range - 6-11

I have heard that some fish can and do typically adapt and thrive in home water conditions that are different then their natural habit, but I have also heard that Rams tend to be delicate when it comes to water parameters. So I guess my question is am I correct in thinking the Rams will not work? And if not do you have any other ideas for a cool, colorful pair of fish to showcase in my peaceful tank?

Thanks!

ETA - I just read on another site that Bolivian rams will thrive with a water hardness of up to 12. And that stability is more important than the actual readings, is this true?

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Rams should work. I have had them in extremely hard water and high pH and they are fine.
    As for cories, you will need to change from trilineatus as they need cooler water than rams.

Warm water cories that will work are: Corydoras aeneus, oiapoquensis, sterbai, seussi, gossei, adolfoi, and duplicareus.

But remember, you need at least 6 of one species, not mix and match.

3. OP
    OP
    D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

Oh okay, thanks for the advice!

4. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

I'd take out the killifish, since they are way less active compared to the others, and can get harassed
    A guppy would nicely replace it ;)

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice