Water hardness and alkalinity really high?

tb19
I just tested my water hardness and the alkalinity on my new tank that iam
cycling
both of them are really high
I mainly want to lower the alkalinity because the ph is pretty high
and I want to lower the water hardness because iam planning on putting
Blue Rams in there and i've read that they need medium to hard water.
mine water is very hard.
how can I lower these??

capekate
HI TB19
Regulating the PH to suit your fish can be a tricky endeavor. Using chemicals to lower or raise the PH levels can shock and stress your fish to death. No matter what method you use to lower your Ph, it will at times fluctuate.
In my opinion you would probably have more success by planning your fish stock by your water readings.
If the blue rams you are talking about are dwarf rams they require consistent readings and the cleanest of waters. They are very sensitive to keep as I can attest to along with a lot of other folks here.

I am sure there are natural ways of lowering your Ph levels and others here can give you much more information on that than I can, since I have decided the best method of fish keeping for me is to buy fish that are suitable for my water conditions. There are a lot of fish that I would love to keep but cannot due to the PH level. I also have lost a lot of fish by trying to keep them in unsuitable PH levels tho there are some that can be more hardy to the difference. Dwarf rams.. Discus... cardinal fish are a few that come to mind that cannot. But no matter what the Ph level is.. the worst thing to do to your fish is end up with unstable PH readings.

~ kate

tb19
well about the water hardness?
is there a way to lower that?

capekate
TB19
I believe this link will explain how PH and water hardiness goes hand in hand. It also gives you some solutions that you may be able to try.

~ kate

tb19
kool thanx!
oh btw. I've read that reverse osmosis water or soft water can lower ph. Do regular water filters soften tap water???

Tio
a guy at Big Als told me that driftwood can reduce water hardness:

tb19
yeah I was told that too
but eventually the ph would rise again afterwards
due to water changes

ER9
well about the water hardness?
is there a way to lower that?

I have a similar problem and after talking to the girl at the aquarium shop she recomended adding crushed coral to the box filter. she said putting it in a sleeve inside the filter would help gradually soften the water over time. I have not tried this yet though.

tb19
doesn't crushed coral raise the ph?
I'm pretty sure it will raise the ph

ER9
doesn't crushed coral raise the ph?
I'm pretty sure it will raise the ph

yes I think she must have misunderstood me or gave wrong advice. I was reading a link on water ph a little while ago and it said that it would make the water more alkaline, raising the PH. so don't use coral to lower it. sorry.

tb19
lol it's alright.
Really I heard an RO filter would make it softer and also lower the ph.
but you have to put the essential nutrients that have been removed back in the water for your fish...plus RO filters are exspensive!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dave125g
Replies
Views
Jerome O'Neil
Replies
Views
Dimmy
  • Question
Replies