Water Green Overnight!? Help

1. Marco Rodriguez Member Member

Hi.
    (This is all the info Ik and have. Can't supply much more till I am home)

I'm away from home on vacation and so had my dad feeding my fish. Everything was fine water was crystal clear. It was all fine. My dad came here to vacation with us. On Friday the water was still clear but he just got home tonight (Sunday). And yes we had someone feed the fish Saturday but he just got home and apparently the water looks super green. Any ideas as to what this could be? I told him try rinsing off the filter cartridge (it's a Top fin Power 20) and I was hoping that would work? I also have a Plus Plex 400 I believe is the other one? Not too sure. I can check if needed. It's a 20 high with a juvenile Female Lavender Mbuna (yes she will be moved Ik the tank is too small).

Thanks.

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

It sounds like a possible bacteria boom. It could also be green water algae. What's the lighting schedule?

3. RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

I accidentally left my lights on my tank on all day since I was gone out of the house longer than planned. The next day, it looked like my tank was green. After careful inspection, I realized that it wasn't my tank water that was green but green algae growing on the glass. Do you think that you could ask your dad if he could just use a plain paper towel (one that doesn't have the soap built into it of course) and wipe a bit of the inside glass? Hopefully that is the place where it is green and not the tank water.

4. Marco Rodriguez Member Member

Aah. Didn't think of that. That's probably what it is. There is no way he is keeping track of lighting. It's probably on from when he wakes up till bed time. So like 7 AM till 11 PM. I'll let him know :) thanks everyone

5. fissh Well Known Member Member

Somebody left the light on too long. And may have fed your mbuna every time it begged! It won't hurt the fish, it just looks ugly. If it's green water and not algae on the glass, put a cover over the tank to block out the room light, keep the tank light off and don't feed for 3 days. That will kill off the green water most of the time.