water for the garden

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey all its that time of the year again. I got the all the garden planted except for the cucumber and squash. My onions, and potatoes broke grown yesterday. Im curious if anyone here on fishlore uses aquarium water on there vegetable garden. Now that im in the hobby i would like to put that water to use, its full of fertilizer, but I wanted to see what you all think. I have kept a garden for years, and I dont want to kill my crops.

Attachments

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The only water I put onto my potted plants (over 40 pots) is aquarium water. It is great stuff. I have a mix of things including gardenias, blueberries, bromeliads etc. They thrive. The only possible concern you could have with watering your vegies would be the possibility of transmitting any disease common to fish and humans. I don't know of any ( I am a doctor) so you should be right. Vegies are heavy feeders and tend to grow faster and more lush with lots of water so it sounds ideal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I use my siphoned aquarium water on all of my plants, potted and veggies. Wonderful fertilizer!

I don't recommend this for anyone that uses salt in their tanks. The salt may kill the plants.

Ken

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with ken!
Its great for our gardens/houseplants....minus the salt of course

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I use my aquarium water for my flowers. Last year, I had Little Shop of Horrors on my front porch, they loved the water so much. I think it's the nitrates that really help them grow.

Matt Berry

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually do more frequent water changes on my aquarium then what is necessary just so I have enough water for my plants. Just as long as it is not from a salt water tank you will be fine. The benefit of using aquarium water is it doesn't have the extra chlorine and also has some extra fertilizer / nutrients for the plants.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thanks everyone for all the responses. I may have a trace of salt in the water, because we use a whole house water softener, but its so low the tests do not detect it in the water. I thought it would be safe, theres no diffrence from farmers using cow manure, but i wanted to check. thanks again everyone.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yea I had this epiphany a couple months ago and I've been using my aquarium water on all of my plants ever since. They've been really healthy so I guess it's been working.

BunnyPuncher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use it for my garden. Of course, where I live, I'd use it even if it was slightly worse than tap water. But of course, the fishy poop and food (and dechlor) make it even better.

High today is going to be 92.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've been using it to water my flower gardens, and to water a few of my container gardens, for a couple of years at least. It works really well.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We have always used the water from our pond to water the garden or the lawn (whichever is drier the day we clean the pond). We've been doing that for over 40 years. No problems and good veggies. Our lawn always looks better where the fish poop goes, too. We also use the washing machine water for our lawn. We have it hooked up to a pvc pipe so when it pumps the water out, it goes out the pipe and into the back yard on the lawn and the pecan trees.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom