Help Water for betta

bhanna9006

Reaction score
Im setting up my 10 gal tank for the first time in years. i have rinsed the gravel several times, but the water still seems to have these almost clear particles floating around the tank, enough that if i take a laser pointer, i can see a beam through the tank. the water has been conditioned i want to get a betta to add, but not sure if the water is safe with these particles. I have a brand new tetra whisper ex20 but it doesnt seem to be removing any of the particles. also the tank has been cleaned thoroughly.
So:
1. what are they?
2. how do i get rid of them?
3. is it safe to have a fish with them?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1-2 probably more rinsing is needed......with a strainer so the small particles go out of the strainer
3. its not safe to add any fish without the tank being cycled first....even a betta so how will you cycle the tank?

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello Bhannah. Your tank is a 10gal with a Whisper ex20. I think that filter might have a to powerful current for a betta. Does it have a flow adjuster?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's what got us to go with flat glass marbles for substrate, I hated the gravel dust. You can get coated gravel or river rocks as well and not have the dust to deal with. But regular gravel - rinse, rinse, rinse is the only way and check the filter media often for dust particles buildup.

bhanna9006

Reaction score
ive tried straining the gravel, but still have the particles floating around. the filter may in fact be too strong, so i have un plugged it and am just running the under gravel filter system. i will probably get either something to reduce the flow rate or a new filter.
should i possibly try new gravel?

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It might be a good idea to try different gravel. When I first started my bettas in bowls (I know, I know, they're in tanks now) I was using a colored gravel from walmart. I spent hours rinsing and rinsing and rinsing, but no matter what I did there would still be dust. I finally realized that the "color" was continuously chipping off the gravel. I switched to coated natural gravel (no color) from Petsmart and now no issues. That's not to say that all color gravel will chip, I just won't recommend the walmart brand ever again. Also, as Shawnie said, no matter what substrate you are using, the tank must be cycled FIRST in order to make your tank water safe. As far as reducing the flow on your filter, the easiest way is to just add filter floss or padding so that it hangs out over the outflow area and just above or slightly touching the water surface.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd not recommend a UGF with Bettas since they like to sleep on the substrate, or have a thick layer of substrate.

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not, PLEASE read about it on this website and cycle your tank before adding fish! An uncycled tank is very stressful for your fish, as well as dangerous to their health.

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to the forum! All above advice sounds good. I hope your tank is up and running soon! We would love to see pictures when you are all done.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom