Water Flow. Two Filters. Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by pukuotas, Dec 16, 2018.

1. pukuotas

pukuotasNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello, I'm finaly ready to upgrade my tank. I will use same canister filter, so in regards of filtration I'm going from overkill filter in old tank to bordeline suficient in new.
    I have one internal filter and one HOB laying somewhere. The plan is to combine internal and canister filters to ensure enough filtration. Didn't like HOB filter much, but it is more powerfull than internal i intend to use, so combining canister and HOB is not really apealing to me, but maybe.

Is there any rules/tricks/tips how to ensure good water circulation? How should I position filters in tank in order to achieve that?

Spray bar of canister filter will be used at the moment, with plant to change to lilly pipe in the future.

Thank you

2. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Experience:
    3 years
    I have my hob on the left side, with my canister intake and spray bar on the right. The spray bar directs water towards the hob so theres a good mixing effect on the left side of the tank with plenty of pull from both sides. I also have a circulation pump on the left side moving water to the right. Its a 6 foot tank so good circulation is a challenge but it seems to do well if I only judge by algae growth patterns.

3. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,281
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well what are your tank sizes now? What make and model filters do you have now? No data here.

4. OP
    OP
    pukuotas

pukuotasNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    Just started
    I guess models name would say much, I believes its more or less region based. Canister 600 liters/hour, internal 400 l/h, HOB 800 l/h.
    Aquarium 160 liters (100X40X40 cm). Canister 3.75 times aquarium volume per hour, Can+internal = 6.25; Can + HOB = 8.75.
    Depending only on number Canister + Hob should be more than enough, but as I said, honestly I think HOB performance was really poor even on my small tank.
    Sorry for using metric data, don;t have converter on my hands at the moment.

5. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,500
    Experience:
    2 years
    approximately 1 Gal = 4 Liters.

gph or lph doesn't necessarily guaranteed good tank circulation.

generally you'll want the intake low on one end sucking in debris, then some people put the spray bar at the top on the same side spraying out across the surface, going down the opposite side, and coming back towards the intake creating a circular motion.

each tank is a little different, get the canister going, look for dead or stagnant areas in the tank, and place the internal filter there.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018