Water Flow through Divided "Tank" ?

1. WYgirl Initiate Member

I am a very thrifty shopper, and I got this wonderful idea that could potentially save a lot of money. The one downside is the water circulation. You see, I want to get a kiddie pool, divide it into sections, and house tropical fish in it. The dividers would double as filters and I would put a heater in the middle. The dividers would be constructed of plastic canvas (like the kind many diy dividers use, if you know what I'm talking about) sandwiching: bio media/sponge and plants (the ones I plan on using aren't true aquatic plants and would sit just below the top of the divider with their roots going down into the water). However, there is nothing to force the water through the bio media/sponge to clean it. How could I fix this? What if I used an overhead sump? Or put a power head in somehow?

2. MinhMai Member Member

Somehow I feel like flow may be a problem. You might get away with a powerhead/circulation pump in each section to blow water at the mesh dividers.
    I like the idea of an over head sump better, then just use plain mesh dividers.
    "The King" has a great video: https://youtu.be/YFcioRUCa6c

Make sure you line the bottom of the kiddie pool so little rocks and debris don't poke a hole in it.

3. WYgirl Initiate Member

Thanks for the feedback! I really do appreciate you taking the time to give a newbie such as myself advice.
    I also liked the sump idea because it seemed easier and cheaper (fewer power heads) and I could still work with plants.
    However there are one and a half problems with this.
    Problem 1/2: I don't know how well this would look, especially if I put it in the middle of the room like I planned to.
    Problem 1: The mesh just doesn't provide the visual blocker I was going for. Ideas on how to fix this?
    Or even any other ideas in general? I'm relying on you guys to help me uncover all of my options!

4. MinhMai Member Member

Maybe you can use a dark colored mesh instead or paint it black with something nontoxic. If you put something like a bucket in the center and put the sump on top of that with plants growing out of it, it could make a nice center piece. The sump doesn't have to be a rectangular planter either, you can look for something rounded too. Let your creativity and imagination take flight.

5. WYgirl Initiate Member

I didn't even think of using something round! Now you have me thinking, I'm gonna be up for a while trying to piece together all of the exact detail of how I'm going to do this. I'm just starting to get a bunch of ideas with the bucket thing! Ooh, should I use a smaller planter with a plant that would drape over the sides or a larger one with multiple plants? You're right about the whole centerpiece thing, it might turn out better than I'd originally thought!

6. MinhMai Member Member

It's up to you if you want a big or small one. I like using Pothos house plants because they grow fast, but anything that will grow and survive with indoor lighting works.

7. WYgirl Initiate Member

My mom is actually overrun with spider plants, so I was going take some of hers and use them. Thanks though!

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

While this sounds like a nice idea, I'm not sure you'll enjoy it as much as you would a regular fish tank, as you can't see the fish very easily - only the tops of them through the water.

If you hunt on Craigslist, you can find some really good deals on tanks, stands, and equipment (for cheap or free!).

9. WYgirl Initiate Member

That's just the thing, I checked craigslist and other sites not too long ago, but there's just nothing around where I live. I've considered getting an aquarium from Walmart, but a kiddie pool gives me at least 4x the amount of water for the same price. And more water=more fish, too. I want to give it kind of a pond-like feel to make it more enjoyable. I understand the cons alongside the pros, but I think it'll be worth it. I've looked at a variety of possibilities, and I've concluded that a kiddie pool seems like the best option for me. I'm not planning on getting an inflatable one-no fear! I want to get one of the plastic pools that are a bit harder to break. The one downside to a kiddie pool is location because it is an odd shape. That's why I plan on putting it in the middle of a room.

I'll look at craigslist again (just in case) and if I can find an aquarium near me that's affordable, I will get it instead. I already have a place I could put it where I wouldn't even need a stand.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look again!

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Keep checking CL - it can take a few weeks or months to find a good deal.

In the meantime, best of luck with this pool idea! I'd be interested to see how it works out.