Water Fleas From Petco Plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Chayna Renee, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Chayna ReneeNew MemberMember

I ba e no idea what these are and I need help getting rid of them. It's been a whole 24 hours I've put the plants in along with my Amano Shrimp, and this is the result.

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to FishLore!

To start off, you could either get your plants out of the tank, and prepare a bleach soak for them. If your going this way, get a tub, or anything large enough, and fill it with a good amount of water. Then add about a 10 - 15 ml of bleach (you can measure it with a water conditioner cap) and pour it into the water. Swish the plants around through the mixture for a couple of minutes. Then take them out, and rinse with plain tap water, and shake them off well.

You can now add them back to your tank, but if there are still fleas in the water, you can suck them out with a siphon.

3. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

If the plants are already in your tank, I would just leave them in. No sense in taking them out to treat them now. The things are already in your tank.

Can you take a pic of the creatures?

4. vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

If they actually are water fleas, your fish will love you for asking them. Live food!

5. Chayna ReneeNew MemberMember

They're moving around quick like and either the water is cloudy or there are so many of them it appears as if it's cloudy. I'm sorry for the quality of the pictures, but I'm not at home at the moment and I took a quick video and couldn't get it to upload. Too bad they aren't little Amano shrimpies. I'd love to have some babies.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Chayna ReneeNew MemberMember

They jerk around when they swim.

7. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Those look nearly like paramecium even... but could be others... how hard are they to see with the naked eye?

8. Chayna ReneeNew MemberMember

When I get really up close they look like sperm almost. They're pretty small.

9. Chayna ReneeNew MemberMember

Whatever it is, if I put my bettas in there one at a time, do you think they'd eat them?

10. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Will fish eat the sperm? I've read some fish will eat the waterfleas, sort of like nature's spermacide.

11. dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  12. Chayna ReneeNew MemberMember

So, I guess I'll put them in there when I get home and I'll see how it goes. I have no idea what they are though. Wish I knew.

13. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

They're not sperm. But your fish may eat them, so it's worth a shot!

14. Chayna ReneeNew MemberMember

Yeah, I meant they are shaped like a magnified sperm. With the head and the tail type thing.

15. Chayna ReneeNew MemberMember

Ok, update. I put my bettas in there and none of them seemed interested. I think they're too small for them to care about them. So, back to the sperm idea. They're white dots with like strings coming out of the dot and they swim like the tail is where the head is. They swirl up in a circle to swim. Any ideas? I'm going to move out the shrimp in there but I don't know how to get rid of them. Can I salvage the plants if I do a 100% water change? I need advice.

16. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Sounds like Cyclops to me, there are fish that love to eat them. I had a group of Boraras maculatus that spawned when there was a Cyclops bloom in their tank. Their fry ate the newborn Cyclops, so it was a self-feeding tank!

17. Tim68Valued MemberMember

Beta should eat them. Most small tetras.
    They shouldn't hurt anything in your tank, they feed on mico algae and other microscopic lifeforms even smaller. Neons should eat them, brings out the little predator in them.
    Sounds more like cyclops than water fkea. Water fleas are round while cyclops are tear drop shaped and get two small sacks of eggs towards the tail.
    On a different note, I'm currently setting up a 10 gallon for scuds, isopods, and water fleas as live food.

18. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

My first reaction was "lucky you". Those are Cyclops. They aren't the best betta food, because they are a bit fast for a slower, surface feeding betta. He'll get some of them though.
    For smaller, faster fish, as Chromedome52 said, they are great. Every once in a while they manage to hitchhike in, and they are always welcome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice