water fall not good for a betta?

1. himeh Initiate Member

I have a 5 gallon tank in my gf sons room. It's the home for Zaida. I replaced the hanging filter with a tetra whisper 10i and realized the outflow is pretty strong. I was going to return it but noticed Zaida was having fun with it. He'll swim towards the current many times during the day and he seems to enjoy the stronger "water fall". I also cleared some space for him so he would not hurt himself when he gets pushed around by the current.

When he's not going through the "water fall" or just swimming around, he'll be resting on his favorite silk plant or hiding in his cave. So to give him some peace and calm, I placed a timer on the filter. The filter turns off 8 hours during night and turns back on in the morning when my gf son wakes up.

Is the outflow too strong for a betta in a 5 gallon tank with this type of filter?

Should I increase the time the filter is turned off?

Thanks

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Himeh and Welcome to Fish Lore!

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the Betta section of the forum so that you'll get more responses from Betta owners.

As long as your fish seems to be enjoying the current then I would say let him play. However, you don't want your fish to have to "fight" the current just to stay in one place 24/7. Does the filter have any type of flow control knob? Too, there are ways to diffuse the flow at the water out flow area. You can band an aquarium filter sponge around the area. I wouldn't recommend turning the filter completely off. There is a possibility your good bacteria in the filter could die off, not getting a constant flow of water. Then it could lead to a mini cycle with increased ammonia levels which would be harmful to your Betta.

Here is a link you may find helpful:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/filters-filtration/53055-what-use-block-filter-current.html

I hope you can share some photos with us sometime!
    Ken

3. himeh Initiate Member

Thanks for the move and links

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

5. himeh Initiate Member

I think Zaida is the smartest of the three bettas I own. Actually, Zaida belongs to my gf son. I got Zaida last Oct. for his birthday, I just take care of him. :)

The fun thing he does is jump over the feeding ring that's in his tank when he is hungry.

6. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! What spunk to want to play with the filter flow. Must be adorable to watch! Got a video of it? Or pics of your fish?