Water Evap

1. Tyler brinson Member Member

I have a 90 gal tank with an approximate 30 gal sump and I was wondering what the avridge water evap a day is. The house has been at about 83 84 during the day for the past week week and a half cause the ac is broke. Not sure what the tank gets up to during the day because I am at work. When I get home it's at about 80 81 normally tho. I loose about 2 gallons a day in evap. Is that normal. I can't find a leak anywhere and I know the tank is good.

2. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Yeah, hoodless tanks will evaporate quick, especially at that temperature.
    I've got a hoodless 31g, and it loses 2 gallons per week.

3. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

My 12g has an Eclipse hood and still loses a couple gallons a week. It's seamless acrylic sitting on a finished wooden table so it's not leaking. My house just gets crazy hot in summer, and my tanks are fairly warm. I lose a lot to evaporation in all my tanks and only one of them is without a lid.

4. Tyler brinson Member Member

I'm loosng about 2 gal a day not a week.

5. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I lose a gallon per day or a little more in my 60G that is mostly covered.

6. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I've never really measured and I don't top off daily, but I'd bet I lose at least a gallon a day in my 55. I don't have air conditioning and it also sits next to my dragon's tank, so the mercury vapor bulb does contribute to the heat in the room. My point was that sometimes evap is unavoidable, even in a covered tank.

7. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Sounds roughly the size of my marine tank when I had it, 300L with 100L sump. I was losing about 3-5 liters per day.

8. Tyler brinson Member Member

Thanks everyone for the reply back. It had me worried I had a leak that I couldn't see somewhere appreciate the help.

9. ashark8me Member Member

my 125 with 100 gal sump (that was in the basement but plumbed together through the floor with another 125 tied in as well) evapped 3 gal a day year round.

10. Tyler brinson Member Member

Ya I just wanted to make sure lol this is my first sump and I did t build it so I'm iffy. But I'm building a new one out of a 25 or 30 gal

11. ashark8me Member Member

Even my current set up which is a 125 without a sump evaps about a gallon a day. Thank goodness for auto top off.

12. vin Well Known Member Member

Water will evaporate regardless of temperature. Naturally increased temperature and dry air will cause it to evaporate quicker. I keep a top off bottle of treated water handy and top off when needed.

13. aniroc Well Known Member Member

Only pure water evaporates, leaving minerals behind. Use RO or distilled water to top off to maintain the same hardness.