Water doesn't seem as clear?? 3 week old tank and other beginner questions.

Bhopkins1311
So I put water in my tank on November 18. First I I'll explain what I have then go over my questions. I have a 55 gallon tank set at 78f with a aqua tech 30-60 and a penguin biowheel 350. For stocking I have 5 giant danios, 1 strawberry Peacock cichlid, 1 sunshine cichlid, 1 yellow lab and one electric blue hap. I used safestart and Fitz turbo start bacteria which worked super well to cycle my tank. I test almost every 2 days please see my journal with pics of test log.
Current readings as of 15 minutes ago:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20-30

So now onto the questions.
I've noticed over the last few days the water seems to be a little cloudy, like dust particles floating in it. Not to bad but not the crystal clear water I want. What is causing the slight cloudiness and also what do I do to fix it.
Also some other questions:

How often do I change filter pads? How many add a time? Last tank I never changed it and was told that was bad.

When feeding how to know how often to feed. I want my cichlids to grow big and colorful as quick as possible, so I'm feeding twice a day and what they don't eat they eat off floor.

Little white dots on glass, not many but a few, what are these and how do I prevent them?

And any other info you guys think I should know

Advertisement
MikeRad89
Nice looking tank.

Seeing material in the water after adding fish is normal, and usually indicates inaqeuate mechanical filtration.

Add a polishing pad as the last step in your HOB filters and you'll see the water clear up. Adding a bag of seachem purigen wouldn't hurt either.

As for changing filter media, I never do it. Haven't in years. I swish them around in a bucket of tank water when they get dirty. The only thing I replace is my polishing pad, which I replace every few months.

Bhopkins1311
Nice looking tank.

Seeing material in the water after adding fish is normal, and usually indicates inaqeuate mechanical filtration.

Add a polishing pad as the last step in your HOB filters and you'll see the water clear up. Adding a bag of seachem purigen wouldn't hurt either.

As for changing filter media, I never do it. Haven't in years. I swish them around in a bucket of tank water when they get dirty. The only thing I replace is my polishing pad, which I replace every few months.
So where would you put that in the filter? And should I replace my aquatech 30-60 with another penguin biowheel? I thought at this point I'd have more then enough filtration. So when I open up my hob filters would I just put that behind the other filter pads?

MikeRad89
Your aquatech is fine along with the biowheel.

The polishing pad is the last thing to filter the water, so should be closest to the biowheel with the rest of the sponges/media behind it.

Advertisement
Bhopkins1311

So cut Say a thin slice and put it in between the filter and biowheel, there's not a lot of room could it not mess up the biowheel, and also the penguin filter has 4 slots right now I only have 2 filter pads so I will be putting in 2 more soon

MikeRad89
That's where it SHOULD go, but with that setup I'd put it between the plastic piece and the media behind it. Sandwich it in the middle.

Bhopkins1311
So doing my research purigen looks awesome. So I can just buy a bag of purigen and then buy the Seachem "Bag" then put it in the back of my filter? Does it matter which one. The Penguin 350 biowheel I think is way better, as much more gph output, but doesn't have as much room. Does it matter which filter it goes in?

MikeRad89
No it doesn't make any difference. Purigen will clear cloudy water due to a number of things, but it won't remove particles, which is why I suggested using both.

el337
So doing my research purigen looks awesome. So I can just buy a bag of purigen and then buy the Seachem "Bag" then put it in the back of my filter? Does it matter which one.

If you buy the Purigen that comes in the bag, you won't need to buy the separate filter "Bag". The "Bag" or another fine mesh bag would be needed if you buy Purigen sizes 250ml and up that come loose.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views
Iluvfishies
Replies
Views
MrBryan723
Replies
Views