Water Current

1. Steve106 Member Member

Enlighten me friends,

Im wondering how important it is that my tank has a uniform current flow. Right now I have two HOB filters running (a 20 gallon one and a 30 gallon one) and an in-tank 10 gallon elite filter dispersing my c02. Among the three of these I believe my current has got to be extremely unevenly dispersed throughout the tank and I am curious if this could be detrimental?

2. can haz catfishies? Member Member

my tanks dont have a uniform flow, doesnt seem to do them harm, if anything it gives my fish quieter spots to rest, i think a general good amount of flow is more important than it being uniform, just try to make sure you dont have any dead spots thats when you can have issues

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I don't have an even dispersal of current either. The most important to me is the fish you have and how they are being affected by the current. Are they gathering in the side with less or more current. Are they being tossed or unable to swim through it.
    Hope that helps :)
    carol

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Or are there areas they don't occupy?

I have uniform, circular flows in my tanks.

5. Steve106 Member Member

Hmm, come to think of it, there has been an end of my tank which is primarily unoccupied by any of my dither fish. It is also the more heavily planted section of my tank, i just figured maybe they liked to be out in the open more. Never attributed the behavior to my current situation. I'm gonna try to switch it up and see if anything changes.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I used to run multiple HOBs on a tank, and I felt the same way - man there have to be some wicked currents in there, in various directions. I never noticed any issues with the fish from it, but I do think the fish prefer the circular flow.

7. Steve106 Member Member

Is there a way i should go about achieving a circular flow without comprising efficiency? Right now I have them all spread out along the back so waste (hopefully) cannot accumulates in the crevices of all the wood and rocks i use for directions.

I guess what im asking is, should i move them all to one end of the tank?

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Is this for your 30 gallon? Is it a 30 versus a 29?

9. Steve106 Member Member

yea, im not sure whether it is 29 or 30. The measurements are 36x12x17or16. Im not sure with the height. If im supposed to measure from the very bottom to the top its 17", if im supposed to measure to under the trim work it is 16". The calculator says its either 31.79 or 29.92.

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

36 inches is a 30. A lot of people with 29s say they have 30s, but there's a difference.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with the filters - I would have one on each side, like you probably already have it.

11. Steve106 Member Member

yup that's what i got going on! thanks Jaysee, you have been REALLY helpful to me since i've joined this site. How's your broken up marimo doing?

12. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Some of my tanks have uniform current and some of them do not. The fish do not seem to act any differantly in the non-uniform tanks as opposed to the uniform tanks.:-*

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Haha, you're asking the right questions ;)

Oh I didn't break it. I'm still hoping I don't kill it :)