Water containers

fishmeal

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like to hold water in for a minimum of 2 days before adding to my tank. Currently I am using a (new) 26 gallon garbage can for this. I am however wondering if the continer may be leaching into my water, and I am wondering what others are using. I am concidering getting a large wine fermenter.

Update:
for those interested,I have 80 US gal of aquarium.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you use a 26 gal garbage can to hold water for a 1 gal tank?
I use a 10 gal bb tank for my 29 gal freashwater tank

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
my water is filtered but not treated, as it is not connected to any municipal water line. Our house is so old it draws water from a spring, and is filtered through a system in our basement, including a UV sterilizer. Straight from the tap, my water fine for fish

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use 5 gallon pails and hold for 4 days as our water is so bad BUT use the metal handle ones, NOT plastic! Recently a pail with a plastic handle broke on me and I had a BIG mess.

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
be careful with metal though, you don't know if it leeches toxins into the water.

Proudtobeafarmgirl, I'm a fellow proud-to-be-a-farm-girl! What kind of farm do you have? We milk jerseys, and raise angus steers.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
that's my question for fishmeal, the garbage can is plastic and not metal right???

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Check the label (if you still have it and I'm assuming it's a plastic can and not metal) and see if it states anything like Non-toxic, for potable water, there is another term but I can't think of it. Something stating that it would be safe to store foods and or water or kitchen use. If it has any of the above then I would say it's fine to use.

I found a barrel supply place and found 55 gallon drums strictly for water storage. If you have great concerns about the bin you're using then you may want to look into this type of container. I can't remember the exact price but some where around $75 to $125 US each. My peace of mind is well worth the $ spent.

Ken

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads