water conditioner

jj

Reaction score
My goldfish tank (along with Danios) has always been easy to maintain and very clear/clean water along with very healthy fish. I was wondering today wether to use the same water conditioner I have been using for years in that tank in my Tropical freshwater tank. Goodness knows why I bought a different one to start with. It is called Alive-O water conditioner and is a blue crystal type substance. However I notice it has an amount of salt in it. Does anyone else use this product? I usually purchase it from K-Mart.
I would be interested in comments, as it has always worked wonders so to speak for the other tank. Just a bit suss about the salt??

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of that product. I would be leary on using anything routinely that added salt to my tank. WalMart has a product made by Jungle that is pretty inexpensive to use. I think it's called Start Right. It treats chlorine and chloramines. I think I would switch.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WalMart also carries a product made by wardleys called Wardley essential Chlor out. It treats for chlorine and chlorimines- it's easy to use and cheap
I have also heard good things about the Start Right that Gunnie mentioned.
Carol

schiz

Reaction score
I use a product called Prime by Seachem on both my tropical and coldwater tanks and haven't had any problem, switched from Aquafin(Petsmart brand). I believe I paid less than $4, at Petsmart, for the smallest bottle of Prime and it treats about 500 gallons. With so many water changes the other simply ran out too fast.

Goldfishcare

Valued Member
Reaction score
Any salt will keep your tank and fish good.. But not table salt.

jj

Reaction score
I agree. I have used that particular conditioner for years, and the fish have always been great. Stupidly it is only recently that I noticed that it has a small amount of salt. I did use it in the freshwater tank at one of my water changes and the fish actually seemed to be a bit more lively. I think it has been an on going debate for years, but I think it works. Not only that last for months.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom