Water conditioner and sponge filter... Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by AspiringAquarist, Mar 30, 2010.

1. A

AspiringAquarist Valued Member Member

Usually when I do water changes, I add all the new tap water, through a Python, into my tank until it reaches my desired level. Then, lastly, I add the Prime conditioner. I've been doing it this way ever since I started the hobby of fishkeeping.

I have a sponge filter in there that is connected to an air pump, which I use mainly to hold beneficial bacteria (important to me 'cause I am still cycling). I know that chlorine kills the bacteria, so is adding conditioner last still good for me?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I add my conditioner in to the tank as I start adding the water. Just to be safe I would not take the chance on the chlorine affecting the bacteria before the conditioner is added by adding it last.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    A

So you add water conditioner BEFORE new tap water goes into the tank?

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Doesn't the conditioner need to be added to new water? As in not before new water is introduced. I always thought that once dechlorinator had been added to water, the reaction takes place & if you were to add more water, you would need to add more dechlorinator. Please correct me if I'm wrong but that is the way I have always understood it to work.

In any case the tanks that I do fill straight from the hose, I add dechlorinator to as I do the top up. As in I put in about 5gal water & then add the appropriate amount of dechlorinator while I'm still filling from the hose. I've never had any problems with killing of bacteria populations because of chlorine. It would depend on how large your water changes are to. If you were doing water changes over 30% then it would be best to dechlorinate the waer in a bucket or tub before adding it to the tank I would think. Expecially if the test results in your profile are still accurate.

5. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

In my opinion you can add it before, during, or after. As long as you add it is the point.

When I used Prime I would start filling whatever tank I was starting with then add prime to it. Then while that tank was filling I would add it to any other tank that I had drained and was waiting to fill.

I honestly don't believe there is enough chlorine to harm your filter.

I have not used any conditioner for the better part of a year and a half with no concern what so ever. Like you I have sponge filters, and only sponge filters in all of my tanks.

Nutter I think you are confusing yourself. Yes it should be added to new water. So say you fill up a 5gal bucket you would want to add enough to that bucket to treat 5 gallons. However if you add straight to the tank the suggestion from Prime is to add enough for the whole volume of the tank. So if you have a 55gal tank and it doesn't matter how much but lets say you do a 50% water change. If added directly to the tank you don't add enough to treat 27.5 gallons you would add enough Prime to treat 55 gallons. Or perhaps I am confused and am reading wrong what you mean who knows.

Brian

6. OP
    OP
    A

Oops, sorry the info in my profile is inaccurate (I keep on forgetting to change it). The ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in my tank now is 0, 0, 10 respectively. I'm not 100% sure if it's cycled yet so I'll see if the readings stay the same for three days. If they don't change I can declare that my tank's cycled and stop with the daily W/C's :)

In case my tank isn't really cycled and I have to do more daily W/C's, I think I'm going to add enough Prime to treat the whole tank (2 mL) while the new tap water from the Python hose is still flowing into my tank. That way the sponge filter can keep all it's bacteria :)

7. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I think we are both confused Brian. :;laughing

I know about the treat the whole tank volume rather than just the amount added. I was more meaning that I thought the conditioner has to be added to the water to do it's job rather than adding the water to the conditioner.

Does that make sense or am I still confused. :)

8. Butterfly

I just pour the conditioner into the stream of water as it goes into the tank :)
    Carol

9. OP
    OP
    A

You pour enough to treat the whole tank right?

10. Butterfly

Actually I just use enough to treat what I'm replacing.
    carol

11. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

I may need a drink after reading this......

Good thing I didn't know you when I was in Australia, that would have been a confusing time.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice