water colour

Marc

Well Known
Reaction score
Wood leaks tanin(sp?) into the water which will make it brown and lower the pH. If you pre-soak or boil the wood it should remove most of it. FYI, water can also be brown if it's dirty or you have a bad filter.

EDIT: Yes, it's going to make it more acidic. Oops!

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
I have a couple of smalll pieces of driftwood that have been boiled and then plants have been tied to them. I put a couple of them in my 20 gal. long tank, and within a week, my water looks like a murky swamp. My fish don't seem to mind, and I do a 50% water change every week, so it's not a problem for me. The would should actually lower the ph, so you want to watch that carefully if you do water changes straight from the tap.

OP
C

Craig

Well Known
Reaction score
I leave my water in bottles for a week then do about a 25-30% water change each 6-7days the fish r happy enough it doesn't seem 2 b a problem but I was just wonderin what was causin

thanks 4 the help

C W

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
If you are putting tap water in bottles, the ph will only change if some of the CO2 (I think it's CO2) gasses out. If that's how you are doing it, then I would check the ph on your water you have aged for a week and compare it to the water in your tank before you do a water change. If it's more than a .2 difference, then it will stress your fish. Just out of curiousity, I would also check the ph level straight from the tap to see if there is a difference.

not4you

Reaction score
Since there's only a difference of .2 between your bottled water and tank water that should be fine for water changes.

Mystical

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my driftwood lowering the pH. How can I get back up to 7?

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Mystical said:
I'm having a problem with my driftwood lowering the pH.  How can I get back up to 7?
How much lower is your ph in your tank than your tap? If it's more than .2, you will probably have to do small frequent water changes instead of larger changes less often. That's so you don't shock your fish with a water change. I would not add any chemicals to the tank to adjust the ph.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom