Water colored from new driftwood

Leeman75

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a couple of pieces of new driftwood in my big tank. I followed the directions that came with and left in boiling water for 30 minutes prior to placing in the aquarium. I just did a WC yesterday and noticed that today, the water in the tank is tea-colored. I've heard before that this happens with new driftwood. Will this be this way as long as I have the driftwood in there or will it slowly diminish to nothing over time (after WCs of course)?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The longer the wood is kept in the tank the less tannin you will see as you do water changes. Tannin isn't a bad thing, it's pretty nice for most tropical fish. It never stops releasing tannin, just slows down as it ages. If you don't like it then consider adding active carbon to the filter.

CoryFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Leeman75 said:
I have a couple of pieces of new driftwood in my big tank. I followed the directions that came with and left in boiling water for 30 minutes prior to placing in the aquarium. I just did a WC yesterday and noticed that today, the water in the tank is tea-colored. I've heard before that this happens with new driftwood. Will this be this way as long as I have the driftwood in there or will it slowly diminish to nothing over time (after WCs of course)?
It’s releasing tannins and will continue to do so

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently added a few larger size pieces to my 55 but with weekly WC's it will slow down considerably. It will take time. As Demeter said it's very beneficial to the fish.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Carbon didnt touch mine when I had a large chunk of Mopani wood. Purigen did but was totally chocolate brown in 2 days. Mine was a super leaker. I took it out because I didnt like it.

Leeman75

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm not sure that I like it. If it bugs me enough, I'll just up my WC schedule a little. Thanks for the input all!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Leeman75 said:
I'm not sure that I like it. If it bugs me enough, I'll just up my WC schedule a little. Thanks for the input all!
Some don't like it but i personally like the look of it. my 55 is absolutely crystal clear but at the same time has a small tint of the tea color and i'm planning a rescape on the 55 soon so it will have a bit more DW in it so i'm sure it'll turn it a bit darker.

Leeman75

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Is that what people mean when they say that they have a blackwater tank? Does that inhibit growth of plants with less light getting to them?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads