Question Water Clarity Change

Roger172

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Question: I had crystal clear water for a couple of weeks did a water change as usual water became fairly cloudy. The only thing I did different was change what wafers I feed my clown loaches. Would that be something that could change water clarity? What does cloudy water generally mean? I def noticed a difference in the activity of my fish since it became cloudy. Set up is a 40 gallon tank. 2 clown loaches, 2 Molly’s, 4 neon tetras.

Thanks

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is generally the cause of a bacteria bloom. So many causes, most common are over feeding or too much nutrients. Check your ammonia levels to make sure they aren't spiking. Was the tank cycled already? I noticed you mentioned it was clear for a few weeks and not months so is it a new tank. Could also be a mini cycle if you added like the loaches after the others or something like that.

Roger172

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Tank has been set up for over a year. I’ll have crystal clear water for up to a month and do water change and filter change for example and than get up to 2 weeks of cloudy water and than over night crystal clear again. Just curious if changing of food could do it

Image1557538254.077314.jpg

Image1557538279.144338.jpg

Not terribly cloudy but I def notice the difference and the way the fish act.

Last edited by a moderator:

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fish behavior should be the biggest indicator of issue .
Part of why I really don't rely on test ..
Is it possible your source water has changed or your supplier recently flushed the system ?
The food could be possible if they are not eating it or it is made differently and the loaches are not digesting it properly but I really don't think it .
Overfeeding could be it .Even if the fish eat all food it still turns to waste ..Are they not eating all food or are you feeding them considerably more and they are eating it ?

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your tank is pretty lightly stocked and you have no live plants so every time you change the filter you send it into a mini cycle. Try leaving the old filter behind the new filter for a week or so and you should alleviate the problem.

Roger172

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I thought with the loaches I was actually on the heavy side, hopefully it clears up soon. Last time this happened I lost everything but my loaches

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When was the last time this happened ?
Had you changed foods then also or can you note anything in common ?

Wintermagic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tank has been set up for over a year. I’ll have crystal clear water for up to a month and do water change and filter change for example and than get up to 2 weeks of cloudy water and than over night crystal clear again. Just curious if changing of food could do it
Cloudy water after changing filter could be caused by bacterial bloom as the tank tries to replace the bacteria that was lost.
It could also be the city doing maintenance on waterline changing the parameters of the water you use.
I do think some foods can cause cloudy water as well when the food dissolves.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom