Water Chilling For Axolotol. Help

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Basicfgts, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Basicfgts

Basicfgts Valued Member Member

I was wondering what some alternative ways are to cooling axolotl water down. I know you can buy chillers but those are all around expensive and ive heard theyre also noisy. I live in Georgia so the summers here are incredibly hot. I do plan on having a window unit on but for the mean time i was wondering what are some other ways. I was debating on trying the water bottle method. Some people say it works and others dont. I also have a 20G aquarium.

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

A friend of mine has an air pump in his refrigerator thats hooked up to a temperature control. It sounds funny but it does help. He has it on a goldfish tank and even on the hottest days here in pa his tank doesn't go over 72.

3. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

See i wouldnt even know where to begin with that.

4. david1978

i texted him for some more info on names and model numbers. If i had to guess i think its a 40 gallon breeder with 2 bubble walls. Not sure on controler or air pump.

5. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

Yeah man, i just cannot afford a chiller. Cheapest i seen was almost 300$. But if all fails I might have to save money for one because Georgia does get pretty hot.

6. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

You could get those little laptop type fans and position them to blow over the water surface. There would be more evaporation than normal but it would keep the temp down. Alternatively, you could freeze ice cubes of tank water and drop them in, but that's a very timed thing that requires someone around pretty often

7. david1978

8. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

Whenever you get the chance link me some information or things i need! Im currently at work so i know how that goes, but, i have no idea where to start on building a cooling system.

9. david1978

10. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

11. david1978

The controler is in the tank hookes up to an air pump that sits inside his refrigerator that pumps cold air to the bubble wall.

12. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

See i have nothing in my room that produces cold air except my AC unit, in which im currently not using atm. I need something that can produce cool air on its on, being what I might have to buy is a chiller.

13. Rtessy

Battery powered fans could work
    Edit: dang sorry I thought this was another thread, didn't realize I already posted here

14. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

Thats what im thinking about doing but as of now, my tank sits around 70 unless i do a water change, then its a good 66. But as I mentioned before, i do live in Georgia and summers here are 85+ so a chiller might be something I absolutely need

15. Rtessy

I'm in GA too, and I have a coldwater goldfish tank but haven't had an issue just because of the AC. It gets pretty hot sometimes, but the water generally stays around 6-8 degrees cooler than the air, so it hasn't gone over 75. I know axolotls are more sensitive, but I think little fans and the water bottle method might be your best best, at least the best bet that won't make your wallet cry

16. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

Aquarium Chillers Cooling Fan (642 fans) 240/160/80L Fish Tank+Free Adapter US | eBay i think im gonna give these a try.

17. Galathiel

Galathiel Well Known Member Member

I'm in Texas and have goldfish. My aquarium can get up to 78-79 degrees. What I did was buy a $10 6inch fan from Wal-mart and have it blow across the open top. It's been keeping the temp cooler by about 6 degrees. I'll take it. I know that's insufficient for your needs, but I was surprised at how much it dropped the temperature.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice