Water Chemistry (Testing Level's) ? Question

1. VenomGrass Member Member

Hey People!
    Just curious what levels (ppm) should I be looking for with my test kit? both ideally and practically. For ammonia, nitrate, nitrite etc...

Thanks For Reading
    :;shat

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

ammonia 0
    nitrites 0
    nitrates 5-20. some say 40, though i think this is a bit high. also, if you are heavily planted, you can have 0 nitrates, since plants will process that.

i think this is ideally and practically. once you have a cycled tank, which is ideal, these are the readings you get. mine has been cycled for about 6 weeks, and every week, my readings have been 0,0,5.

i hope this helps.

3. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks meenu; when I get my test kit can I post you the results and you advise on what I need done? :)

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

of course i can help you with the results. :)
    see if you can get the api kit - it is great. if not, another good liquid kit. also, you aren't using the stresszyme anymore, right? can you update your aquarium info?

5. VenomGrass Member Member

Yeah I purchased the API liquid master test kit. should be here on monday. I used my last stress zyme dosage around 3 days ago, so that my treatment for Ich is not as stressful as it would be without any bacteria. My TSS will be here on monday also. So after the medication is complete it will 50% water change add the TSS and test the levels? that sound good? Cheers for the reply

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

after the ich is gone, do a 50% water change, maybe even more like 70% just to make sure any meds and stresszyme are out. At this time, you can also do a good gravel vac.

Treat the water with the Tetra Aqua Safe that you aleady have.

Then shake the TSS, pour it all in, and leave the tank alone for 7 days. No water changes, vacuums, no additional conditioners, no water tests. Just feed your fish for a week with no other interaction. After a week, you'll check your water. If you get any readings other than 0,0,5-20, do not panic. Walk away for another 3 days, with only feedings, then test again. You'll be on day 10 of the TSS by then.

Hopefully you'll be cycled by then. If you aren't, we'll figure it out then. :)

TSS will make your readings crazy, so you don't want to check the water. It's easy to see crazy readings, panic, and add Prime and destroy the TSS (I speak from experience). ;)

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

great advice meenu!! Id just like to recommend to do all your ich treatments first...get rid of that nasty bugger before you do your TSS...daily water changes will keep them safe until the 2 weeek, higher temps are done...you dont want to waste the tss when fish are already stressed from the ich..it could kill them :( if you used any meds, change out all your filter media as well with new stuff

EDIT: oops missed your first part meenu!:;nw

8. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks Shawnie. I'll keep you all posted on response to the treatment. :)

9. VenomGrass Member Member

My Water Testing Results

Here is my results using API test kit. Please tell me what I need to do :)

pH = 7.4
    Ammonia = 2ppm
    Nitrite = 0ppm
    Nitrate = 5ppm

Is this very bad?
    Thanks

10. phil saint Member Member

hi venomgrass, are you at the start of a cycle ? if so what are you using to cycle your tank ? a water change will bring the ammonia down also reduce amount of feeding.

11. VenomGrass Member Member

Yeah with fish though; along with stress zyme. (which I'am going to remove and move to TSS after the ICH treatment)

12. phil saint Member Member

iv never used anything like that to cycle so im not clued up on it, but if you havent started TSS yet a water change will bring it down hopefully someone who has used stress zyme or TSS will give you a better answer. the ph is a little high but the fish should be fine if it dosent change to much, nitrAte is fine upto 20 some people say 40.

13. VenomGrass Member Member

pH: 7.4
    Ammonia = 2ppm (concerned?)
    Nitrite = 0ppm
    Nitrate: 5ppm

14. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

until your ich is gone, keep going with the ich treatment just as discussed (raised temps, vacs, whatever med was recommended, even stress zyme to keep the ammonia down, and prime if you have it). don't add the tss to the tank until you've gotten rid of the ich. let's worry about that after you've beat the ich.

you may want to ask a moderator to merge this with your other thread where we were talking about this. that thread has more of your tank's history, and it will be less confusing to members trying to giv e you advice.

15. VenomGrass Member Member

Yeah my plants must be working well to reduce the nitrites to zero.. stress zyme = rubbish and requires constant topping up (Wrong type of bacteria) This is why after the ich treatment im going to water change let the setree zyme dilute and die off then add TSS to let the good bacteria thrive. I don't like the ammonia reading of 2 though.. :S

16. phil saint Member Member

Just seen your other post, sounds like your in good hands with meenu.

good luck.

17. VenomGrass Member Member

Yeah cheers for the help mate, appreciate it

18. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks a lot for the help. Your advice is like gold dust. Ill send lucy a message now. :)

19. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

The threads are merged. Thanks!

20. VenomGrass Member Member

Cheers Lucy :)