Water Changes...

Amnagrla

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a question!! lol I have a 10 gal tank and I do a water change every week. When I refil the tank, I sit in the bathroom (I live at school) and mess with the Hot and Cold knobs until I feel like it's the same temperature as my tank. Then I fill my tank with the tap water. The LFS told me tap water is fine for water changes... but should I treat it with something!? I feel like I should..

Also... is it natural to have like 2 gallons of water evaporate every week? I know it's "dry" in dorm rooms but man, I didn't think that I would get that low.

rsands

Reaction score
I use StressCoat to remove the chlorine.  But definately, you should remove the chlorine from the water.  the chlorine can kill some of the bacteria in the water

2 gallons a week is a lot of water...do you have a cover over the tank?

Radcliffe

Reaction score
Perhaps some of the evaporation is due to the lights- incandescent bulbs get pretty hot.
You are likely right, though, in guessing that your air is dry as well. My tanks all evaporate more than I had thought they would!

--R

griffin

Well Known
Reaction score
I think 2 gals a week isn't too far off. I have a 10 gal with full hood, and I add between .25-.5 gallons a day, especially now that it's getting hotter

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom