Question water changes

Poseidon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all
I am still in the research stage of beginning this hobby and am reading anything and everything i can to be as ready as possible. But I have a question that i haven't been able to get answered.
I don't have a tank yet but will most likely get the Vicenza 260, which for anyone who doesn't know is a 260 litre/68gal bow front. My question is related to the water changes, after the tank is cycled and populated if your doing a 20% water change how do you not effect the water temp?? obviously the water would be treated but running it from the hot tap doesn't seem very clean.
So how do you do a water change without majorly effecting the overall temp of the water which i know is very bad for the fish??

Thanks all for the help...and love the site

Stephen

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Stephen, Welcome to Fishlore! When I do waterchanges I just run the hot and cold taps together until the water feels roughly the same temp as the tank water.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Poseidon and Welcome to Fish Lore.

You can use a thermometer to make sure the new water for the water change is the same temperature as the water in the tank. Some people just go by touch and they usually get it within 1 or 2 degrees. They use both hot and cold water at the same time to get the right temperature.

I use another aquarium to heat, treat and filter my new water for 5 to 10 days prior to it going into my tanks. Then I use a mag drive pump and pump the water directly into my tanks for water changes.

You are correct, sudden temperature changes can be fatal to your fish. The new water has to be as close as possible temperature wise as the water that is in the tank.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Poseidon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for clearing that up. I just always thought of the water coming from the hot tap as not being good for the fish but I guess I'm just being OCD. although my OCD side is loving your method Aquarist

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Poseidon,

It works out great for me to use another aquarium to pretreat, heat and filter my water prior to it going into my main tanks. My pH is so high from my tap water that it's off the charts. By letting it filter for 5 to 10 days it gives me a more accurate pH reading as it drops over time.

I also have well water and not city water. There are times when silt gets into the water and by prefiltering it, it gets removed before it goes into my main tanks. So the water is crystal clear before I do my water changes. Too, by pumping the water from tank to tank, (I use a mag drive 750 pump) I don't have to use a bucket, my tank temperatures and pH levels match almost exactly.

Ken

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
People tend to think that the hot water is not as clean as the cold (as I to used to), but if you think about it, the water comming into the building comes in from a sigle pipe. Some of that water get diverted into a tank and heated up. But in the end, it's all the same water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom