Water Changes Question

1. JD OSCAR Member Member

Hi Guys! Its been awhile since I posted but have been reading a lot of posts. I have a question. I bought 6 Angelfish several months ago to replace my Oscar. I gave him/her to a friend with a bigger tank.

Anyway, along the way I had some problems with my water conditions(being stupid and not keeping an eye on them) and lost one Angel. Another Angel lost an eye.

At that point I have been very careful and do weekly water changes and all of my Angles are looking good.

The question I have is this morning my Angel laid a batch of eggs on the filter tube. They are tan not white so I am hoping they will hatch but I was going to do a water change today and was afraid to disturb the eggs. I do not want to let the water get bad again. Is it safe to do a water change??

PH 6.4 Nitrate 10 Nitrite 0 Amonia 0

2. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

on the filter tube :O.... i would turn the filter down(or off) as to no suck them up.

change the water carefully making sure not to expose the eggs to the air, and when pouring the water back in do it SLOWLY, that's all the precautions i know to take.

GOOD LUCK, my always kinda wanted to spawn angles...

3. Danionins.com Member Member

Hi JD,

It looks like your water parameters are in good shape - I'd wait a couple of days until after the eggs hatch. If you cause the parents a lot of stress they will probably eat the eggs.

After the eggs hatch, just put an air stone on the end of some air tubing and siphon out the old tank water through the tubing. It will take longer, but you won't suck up any fry or cause a big disturbance in the tank. You can add the new water back using the same tubing with the same result - not a big disturbance.

Just my :;2cents

Dennis

4. JD OSCAR Member Member

Well I can do my water changes now. When I got home from work today all the eggs are gone. I guess they got eaten. I'm sure they will try again. I keep reading that it takes a few times before they get it right.

5. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Some fish never get it.. you may need a small tank (5 or 10 gal setup) to put the eggs in if you want to be a angel parent...jmho:;dete