Water changes

jj

Reaction score
My new tank is in the cycling process. When I start water changes, do I only need to add water conditioner with the new water? I was sold some kh powder in the shop, do I need to use this each time as well. They wern'r particularly helpful, and I admit I got a bit overloaded with everything at the time. Obviously I will purchase a test kit, so does that determine what I need to add?
I thought I had it down pat, but now reading about so many different products I'm totally confused and not so keen on adding so many chemicals.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
From what I understand and what I've been told... with the replacement water.. you really only want to add in a dechlorinator. The less chemicals the better
I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable folk here will help ya out alot better than I can heh.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes when you do a water change just add dechlor and make sure that the water is the same temp as the water in the tank.

Gwenz

jj

Reaction score

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
your test kit basically tells you your ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels, the ONLY thing you have to add is the dechlorinator, unless one of your fish is sick then add the right meds, but when you do a water change, make sure your heater is unplugged, and then don't plug it back in til at 15 minutes after the water change, that should prevent it from exploding

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
whoa jmatt, just a quick thanks for the heater info there! i honestly had no idea that would or could happen. that will save me pain in the future

nice one bud... im learnt something else today
darren

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't use kh or ph adjustor powder personally because most fish will acclimate to whatever your ph or kh is. When you adjust it the kh or ph changes more and more back to what your faucett water is the closer to water change time it gets. this causes fluctuations and your fish can get sick from that. better a stable ph or kh than one that changes.
Uless your using a python to do water changes just use enough dechlorinator to dechlorinate the water you are replacing.
If you use a python to change water and Prime to dechlor you have to put however much you need to dechlor the whole tank no matter how much/or how little water you are replacing. these are the instructions on the label
Carol

jj

Reaction score
Thank you all for that info. The heater I might have forgotten...great advice.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom