Water changes?

bonescaro

so i’ve finally gotten around to setting up my first proper aquarium, but one of the most important questions i forgot to ask my much more knowledgeable coworkers is “how frequently should i be doing water changes?”

my tank is a 10 gallon and planted. it’s still cycling, so there’s no fish in it yet, and won’t be for a while longer. how often should i be doing water changes, and how much?

Cory04

What will be the stocking?

King o´ Angelfish

hello,

there really isnt a magic number or percentage for water changes. It is really up to the individual tank

depending on how heavily/lightly stocked it is, how sensitive the specie is to water parameters, and how much you are feeding.

Flyfisha

Hi bonescaro
If you are asking how often you should be doing water changes now while the tank is cycling the answer is you do not need to do water changes very often if at all as a tank cycles.

Are you adding ammonia?

If you accidentally added to much ammonia and the ammonia is around 5 ppm or more ( I think) then a small water change is how to lower the ammonia.

As the cycle finishes sometimes ( SOMETIMES) the final stage of total ammonia and nitrites consumption within 24 hours stalls for want of a better term. A small water change can sometimes kick start the final stage.
In short no water changes are required at the moment.

fishnovice33

I like water changes throughout the cycling process (every 5-7 days) and just reapply ammonia. I find it cycles much quicker. Especially with live plants. Letting your plants sit in ammonia with little water changes over 4-7 weeks will melt them. I’ve been through it...multiple times.

The general rule seems to be one a week. I like 5 days. However it really does depend on your stocking, lightning, plants, size of tank, and what’s going on.

The parameters of your water source also play a factor. Personally with something that small I’d stick to 50% every 3-5 days with dechlorinator.

What is that triangle green thing in the top left? Is that a drop checker or some sort of PH indicator?

Nickguy5467

i did a fishless cycle. and the only time i did a water change was while i was testing during the process whas when i had nitrites and the and then nitrates. i did a large water change. added pure ammonia. and then wait till tomorrow. if the ammonia is gone, no nitrites, and you have more nitrates. your cycle is done. now do your water change to lower your nitrates and your good for adding fish. hope i didnt forget something in that

anyway . thats what i did. you do you

justinleeldn

There is no correct answer, as it depends on various factors like how many fish you have in your tank, how often and how much you're feeding them, what you're feeding them, whether your tank is heavily planted, what filtration system you're using, etc. A lot of people perform a 25-50% water change on a weekly basis. Personally, I think 50% every week is too much. I will only do a 50% water change if i feel my tank really needs it, otherwise i'll do a 25-30% every week. I am due to do one today, but I am starting to wonder whether it really requires a weekly change, and going to test doing it every 2 weeks.

I am using a Fluval U3, which is very good, in fact it's been the best internal filter i've used so far. I also know some professional keepers who haven't done a water change in 2 years and their tank is spotless, and the fish are healthy. I would not recommend this unless it is a larger tank, which has been established for quite some time, and you really know what you are doing. This is when you need to have an understanding of the chemical and biological processes that go on in a tank.

Your tank is new, so I would recommend no more than 30% weekly to start with, but as it becomes more established you will learn what works best for the tank.

Remember, the smaller the tank, the less room there is for error.

Good luck!

bonescaro

fishnovice33 said:
I like water changes throughout the cycling process (every 5-7 days) and just reapply ammonia. I find it cycles much quicker. Especially with live plants. Letting your plants sit in ammonia with little water changes over 4-7 weeks will melt them. I’ve been through it...multiple times.

The general rule seems to be one a week. I like 5 days. However it really does depend on your stocking, lightning, plants, size of tank, and what’s going on.

The parameters of your water source also play a factor. Personally with something that small I’d stick to 50% every 3-5 days with dechlorinator.

What is that triangle green thing in the top left? Is that a drop checker or some sort of PH indicator?
thank you so much for the tips. that is a drop indicator, yes, for co2! im paranoid and have a bad track record with plants, so i wanted to have all my bases covered. every non-aquatic plant i've ever had (these are my first aquatic ones) ive killed. even succulents ;_;
Cory04 said:
What will be the stocking?
fish stocking? i initially planned on doing ghost shrimp and a single male beta, but im wondering what else i could stock. i've been wondering if 2 or 3 female betta and shrimp would be good, but i'm still playing around with ideas at this point.

Latest threads

Top Bottom