Water Changes?

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How often do you guys regularly change your water?
And if you happen to have an ammonia spike, how much do you change your water? I've heard different answers, most say 50% every day.

CichlidCody

Reaction score
You should be doing weekly water changes. 25% at least or more if a bigger tank. For ammonia spikes , do 50% water changes every day dosing prime water conditioner till the ammonia levels are down .

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Depends on the size of the tank and the stocking. I have a 20 gallon with a few snails and a betta in it. I usually try to do one change a week of about 10-25%. I've never had an ammonia spike after cycling it.
My other tank is a 15 gallon that is currently empty other than some ramshorns and bladder snails. When it had guppies in it I would do weekly changes of 25% but currently do one every two weeks or so.

Ammonia spikes kind of depend on how hard the spike it. If it spikes to say .2 I would probably do a 50-75% change and test it the next day. If it were higher then I would dose prime and do 50% changes at the very least every other day. You would likely want to test for ammonia after a change if you had a spike and didn't dose it with prime to make sure you got it out.

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alright thank you! Also, if there is an ammonia spike, do you gravel vac every other day? Not saying that I have :shame: just wondering in case I run into a situation

New Threads