Question Water Changes?

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys

So my three tanks are finally stocked how I want them. I think they’re a little under stocked even. My first tank started out with 5 black neon tetras and a betta in a 10gal, so I got used to doing weekly water changes. Now that 10gal only has my male betta in it and 2 African dwarf frogs. I have another 10gal with a snail, an amano shrimp, a small female betta and three male guppies in it, and then a 20-25gal (original owner of the tank wasn’t sure), with a male dwarf gourami, 6 black neon tetras and three male guppies. On both tanks with guppies I went under what people told me I could put in there, and my other ten gallon doesn’t have a lot in at all. Do you guys think I could get away with changing the water biweekly?? Thanks!!

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You probably could as long as your not over feeding your fish and you have proper filtration. But keep an eye on it, if the fish start to look lethargic you might want to reconsider the bi-weekly changes.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't recommend it but if you are having time issues you could do a 40-60 percent water change every two weeks but make sure you test the water weekly and do water changes if the tanks has high levels. You could also invest into stuff like Christmas Moss, Amazon Swords, Duckweed they are low tech plants that suck up a lot of nutrients which can help cut down on water changes.

OP
hannah662parker

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't recommend it but if you are having time issues you could do a 40-60 percent water change every two weeks but make sure you test the water weekly and do water changes if the tanks has high levels. You could also invest into stuff like Christmas Moss, Amazon Swords, Duckweed they are low tech plants that suck up a lot of nutrients which can help cut down on water changes.
Thanks! Yeah I’m nervous about it but doing it biweekly would help a lot, I go to school full time and have three jobs but I don’t want them stressed so I’ll probably keep it at once a week just to be safe. For some reason in the 10 with my female betta and three guppies a lot of poop accumulates at the bottom, it’s a tall tank so maybe because there’s not a lot of gravel space??

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks! Yeah I’m nervous about it but doing it biweekly would help a lot, I go to school full time and have three jobs but I don’t want them stressed so I’ll probably keep it at once a week just to be safe. For some reason in the 10 with my female betta and three guppies a lot of poop accumulates at the bottom, it’s a tall tank so maybe because there’s not a lot of gravel space??
You should just go bare-bottom those tanks are extremely easy to clean and from my experience are cleaner in general compared to gravel tanks.

Last edited:
OP
hannah662parker

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You should just go bare-bottom those tanks are extremely easily to clean and from my experience are cleaner in general compared to gravel tanks.
I wish I could! That does sound nice but all three of mine are heavily planted with plants that root in the gravel maybe next time around!

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Weekly water changes of about 15-20% is really the best method. Don’t over feed and this will work well. If you don’t have time weekly, at least top off the tanks and then do a water change every other week. 40% is way to much of a water change imo you stress your fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom