Water Changes

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bUtTerCUp, Apr 24, 2019.

1. bUtTerCUpValued MemberMember

i have roughly a 2 gal tank for my betta (ik its small, pls don't harrass me), how often should i change the water?

2. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

depends on how high your nitrates are getting
    Probably twice a week if it’s fully cycled

3. bUtTerCUpValued MemberMember

4. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Since your profile says that you are unaware of the nitrogen cycle, I'm going to assume this tank is not cycled. Does the tank have a filter?

Either way, I would recommend doing 50% water changes every other day using SeaChem Prime as your water conditioner. The reason I recommend Prime is because Prime will detox ammonia for 24-48 hours. Once you understand the nitrogen cycle, you will learn that fish constantly release highly toxic ammonia into the water. In a cycled tank, that ammonia gets turned into highly toxic nitrites, then the highly toxic nitrites get turned into far less toxic nitrates. Then in a cycled tank, you normally will do a weekly partial water change to keep the nitrate levels low enough to be non-toxic.

I highly recommend you read up on the nitrogen cycle, since it is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish. Betta's (like all tropical fish) require a heated, filtered, cycled tank. Sadly, most fish stores don't inform their customers of this.

5. bUtTerCUpValued MemberMember

it is cycled and it has a filter