Water Changes?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Thibault Drake, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Thibault DrakeValued MemberMember

I just transferred my fish to my new 16 gallon yesterday and today I noticed the water was low. The filter is causing disruption in the substrate because of the water level. Is it too early to add new water, or should I wait a few more days?

2. Massalo85New MemberMember

add water

3. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Adding water to the water you transferred over will be the same as doing a water change. So yes, go ahead and fill the 16 gallon tank up. BTW: What size tank did you move up from? Hopefully you moved everything from the smaller tank over to this one.

4. Thibault DrakeValued MemberMember

Yes I did. The tank was 5 gallons, which was way to small for the fish. I started the tank with zero knowledge. I just walked into a pet store in Seattle and saw all the fish and I was inspired. But I knew nothing so the tank was tiny.

5. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Good job. By moving everything over to this tank you saved all of the bacteria you had growing in the 5 gallon. I have to think the majority of us started the same way you did. We go into this knowing nothing but soon find there is more to the hobby than we ever knew.

It never hurts to have a 5 gallon tank waiting in the wings. You never know when it will come in handy. You may want to consider running an extra, small sponge filter in your bigger tank. That way you can instantly cycle it by just moving it over to the 5 gallon tank when needed..