Water Changes

  • Thread starter

Cole101

Valued Member
Messages
67
Reaction score
16
Points
53
I have a 5 gallon long that I’ve been cycling for about a week now and it’s showing some progress I’ve been doing 25% water changes every day. Is that to much and to often? What would you guys suggest thanks for any feedback!
 

Caleb Smith

Valued Member
Messages
454
Reaction score
174
Points
73
Experience
1 year
it depends on if you are doing fish-in or fishless cycling. If you are doing fish-in, you need to do water changes to keep the levels tolerable for your fish. If you are doing fishless, you only have to do them to prevent levels from getting high enough to stall your cycle
 
  • Thread starter

Cole101

Valued Member
Messages
67
Reaction score
16
Points
53
Caleb Smith said:
it depends on if you are doing fish-in or fishless cycling. If you are doing fish-in, you need to do water changes to keep the levels tolerable for your fish. If you are doing fishless, you only have to do them to prevent levels from getting high enough to stall your cycle
Ok thank you I’m doing a fishless cycle.
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,058
Reaction score
9,023
Points
608
Experience
2 years
How are you adding the ammonia source?

Have you tested your parameters?

I would stop with the water changes unless ammonia or nitrites get too high and stall the cycle.
 
  • Thread starter

Cole101

Valued Member
Messages
67
Reaction score
16
Points
53
TexasDomer said:
How are you adding the ammonia source?

Have you tested your parameters?

I would stop with the water changes unless ammonia or nitrites get too high and stall the cycle.
Went to the fish store today to get the water tested as I don’t have an ammonia test kit ammonia is at .1 nitrites are between .1 and .2 and nitrates are at 0 I haven’t added an amonua source but the tank is currently well planted with Monte Carlo. And thank you for the advice!
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,058
Reaction score
9,023
Points
608
Experience
2 years
Your tank won't cycle without an ammonia source. It seems like you have ammonia in your tap, but I don't think it'll be enough for it to cycle. I'd look up more information on doing a fishless cycle (some good threads on the forum), pick up a bottle of pure ammonia, and cycle the tank.

I'd pick up your own liquid test kit. If you're in the US, you can get the API freshwater master kit cheaply online. You'll have a hard time fishless cycling without it.
 
  • Thread starter

Cole101

Valued Member
Messages
67
Reaction score
16
Points
53
TexasDomer said:
Your tank won't cycle without an ammonia source. It seems like you have ammonia in your tap, but I don't think it'll be enough for it to cycle. I'd look up more information on doing a fishless cycle (some good threads on the forum), pick up a bottle of pure ammonia, and cycle the tank.

I'd pick up your own liquid test kit. If you're in the US, you can get the API freshwater master kit cheaply online. You'll have a hard time fishless cycling without it.
Ok will swing by the fish store in the next few days to get the test kit and some ammonia thank you so much for the help!
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,058
Reaction score
9,023
Points
608
Experience
2 years
You might need to get ammonia from a hardware store - just make sure to get one without a surfactant.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom