Water Changes

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by pasp475, Apr 23, 2017.

1. pasp475Valued MemberMember

2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

IMO it is never too soon to do a water change. Even if it is just a small one :)

3. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Agree with above! It is best to do 20-25% every week

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  4. dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

I do 50% every week. Personal preference, but I find that it keeps algae down.

5. clk89Fishlore VIPMember

Water changes many times depend on the tank, and it's inhabitants. Most do at least once a week, however, if the tank is very small, not filtered, overstocked, or simply grows nitrates more rapidly then one may need to do it more then once a week. In fact for some tanks daily water changes are a must, it really depends on what the water perimeters are. Once a week is kind of the minimum, because you want to replenish the minerals in the water, even if the tank is grossly understocked and nitrates don't go over 2oPPM in a week.

6. Stephen HiattWell Known MemberMember

You have to do at least one %50+ water change per week to keep nitrate down. They'll slowly creep up otherwise. As an example, lets say your tank creates 10ppm of nitrate per week. By the first week, the tank has 10ppm nitrate. After you do a water change, the tank has 7.5ppm nitrate. By the time the next week rolls along, you have 17.5ppm nitrate, because the tank produces 10ppm each week. Once you do the %25 water change, the nitrate is 13.125, 3.125ppm more than the first week. By week three the nitrate is 17.34375, and it continues to creep up with each passing week.

7. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

It depends on the tank. I have a 40 breeder and I do a 50% water change every 3-4 weeks and my levels are always 0-0-(5-10). My tank is heavily planted and also have pothos. Thus I have a lot of the nitrates being absorbed.

8. Stephen HiattWell Known MemberMember

Plants are a different story. Water changes can be spaced out further with them. In my example I wasn't including plants.