Water changes

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Paincoast89, Jun 25, 2016.

1. P

Paincoast89 Valued Member Member

I just got a Betta fish last week and I have a 5.5 gallon tank with a filter and no heater ( my room stays at a constant 78°F) and I was wondering when should I do water changes and how much water should I do? I don't know what my water parameters ( I plan to get my water tested next week-ish)

2. Anastasia Vedmedenko

Anastasia Vedmedenko New Member Member

Start by doing 1 gallon water changes every week and check your parameters weekly to see if more is necessary. Small, frequent water changes are a better option for the health of your tank. However, you can get away with doing 2 gallons every second week. The strength of your filter and whether or not you have live plants makes a difference as well.

3. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Pain...

That's a very small tank you have. The water is prone to sudden changes because even a trace of dissolved fish waste can stress your fish and is enough to burn the sensitive gill tissues. Room temperature is too cool for this species. A constant 80 degrees is optimum. Put in some floating plants and small piece of driftwood. They like shade and a place to hide.

Have you done any serious research on keeping this fish? This isn't a good fish for someone new to the water keeping hobby.

Good luck.

Old

4. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

This is going to be a bit off-topic.

Try and get a test kit, and if you can, Seachem Prime water conditioner (it also detoxifies ammonia and nitrite which common conditioners don't normally do. This will help keep your fish safe from ammonia and nitrite spikes during the cycling process.)

Speaking of which, do you know about the nitrogen cycle and what it means to "cycle" a fish tank? If not please look that up. It is the key to fishkeeping.

Try and get a heater to keep your water at about 80 degrees.

As for water changes, do at least once a week, but ideally you'll want to use your test kit (everyone here uses the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It's way better than strips. More accurate, doesn't expire as quickly, and cheaper in the long run) to monitor the water and decide when you need to change the water (as a general rule of thumb, when using prime water conditioner, I try to keep the ammonia and nitrite at 1ppm to feed the bacteria)

If you can pick up Seachem Stability the cycling will go much faster, but that's not necessary like Prime and the Test Kit.

Keep us posted and good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice