Water changes ????

1. Mossyoakwoods Initiate Member

So I have a 110 48x31x18 planted tank with aquatop 500 canister uv.
    Question is its established tank for last 8 months how often do I need to do a water change ???
    I've heard 30% every two / or 30 once a month.
    Thanks a lot peeps

2. Paincoast89 Member Member

Well what kind of fish do you have? And 25% should be a good amount if you have a filter and if your tank is relatively clean.

3. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Okay, so how long has this tank been running without water changes?

Have you any test results from the tank currently? Particularly pH, but the others, too.

Water changes are recommended based on stocking, what's in the tank. Generally, a weekly change of 30% will help keep nitrates down and help replenish minerals and electrolytes that fish need. In a heavily planted tank, I would recommend a little more, around another 10%, because plants need those trace minerals, too.

An issue arises if the tank hasn't had any water changes. The pH drops as well as other screwy water chemistry wizardry. The fish will have adapted to the conditions and a large water change can cause pH/osmotic shock, temperature shock (by not matching temps), and a few others not on the top of my head.

In these cases, small changes in water over time must be done to avoid and stress and death of livestock

4. Mossyoakwoods Initiate Member

I have
    four angles
    12 red fin tetras
    2 black shirt tetras
    10 neon tetras
    2 glow neons
    4 small ottocyclis
    One bushy nose pleco
    3 flying fox
    One red serum
    Loach
    Two ballon mollies
    Two guppies
    Three black neon tetras
    I think that's it

5. beau Well Known Member Member

When was the last water change and what are the parameters?