Water Changes?

1. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Do you have to do weekly 10% changes if the water perams are good?

2. daunicorn Member Member

Yes, if you want them to stay that way. If fact, some people change 20% every week, but it depends on the tank.

3. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Really you need to monitor the Nitrate levels in the tank, and then adjust the amount of water that is changed out to maintain a healthy tank.
    This may be as much as 50 / 60 % of water if your tank is heavily stocked.

4. BellatheBetta Member Member

It is a good idea to change at least 10% of the water weekly just to keep the water params in good check and add and replenish vitamins. I do a 30% water change weekly to ensure my fish are in healthy water. It is nescessary to do water changes to minimise the amount of ammonia in the water caused by fish waste. Ammonia is part of the nitrogen cycle and a cycled aquarium is needed for keeping fish sucsessfully.

5. Cef Member Member

I do 30-40% weekly to all my tanks, understocked or not. Disciplined myself before starting out.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

7. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

I do 50% weekly on all of mine to ensure their waters minerals are replenished

8. Cef Member Member

9. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I always do a minimum of 25% weekly. I usually aim more around 40-50% weekly. Like stated above its about replenishing minerals in the water as well as keeping the parameters in check

10. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Ok, i usually do a 10% on my 55g & 10g, and a 20% on my 210, so i should in reality be doing a bigger water change?

11. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I would at least do 25% weekly and a 40-50% pwc once a month. Ideally, I would suggest a 40-50% weekly.

Do you have a python or aqueon water changer? It will save your life!

12. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

A python/aqueon water changer is indeed a life saver. I do a 50-60% change every other week. Sometimes I do every week. It's always good practice to do it weekly.

13. SuzanaBanana Member Member

14. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

How high are your nitrates?

15. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

If you have any tanks near a sink (mind you they have 25ft, 50ft, 100ft tubes plus extra extensions you can add) you might want to invest in one! I use it on my 29g and it makes large water changes so easy and painless. I still have to use my gravel vacuum for my 10QT and 20g because the cover on the faucet in my bathroom wont come off. But even having 1 tank with the water changer was well worth it

16. SuzanaBanana Member Member

For all tanks they are about 5

17. SuzanaBanana Member Member

But how would i treat the water before putting it into the tank?

18. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

You put enough prime in to treat the entire tank volume before you run the new water in. Then let it flow in.

19. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

How it works:
    Take out the water while vacuuming substrate
    Empty the hose
    Get the temp just right
    Add prime for the entire volume of the tank
    Switch the function from suck to pour
    Add the water back to the tank
    Turn off
    Empty the hose
    Done!

20. BrokerTamara Member Member

I have 90 gallon tank with sump and three large blood Red Parrots. My fish love 10% per week or 25% every two weeks also works well. I what is easiest with my schedule. They because of the size can go 2 1/2 weeks then I do larger change.