Water changes - Page 2

OP
SilverMIssy

SilverMIssy

There is Oliver's pets but they don't sell it either. The only other fish store closest to me is about 35 minutes away. I'm not sure if they carry it. I should call them. I have tomorrow off...

Edit: they have it I don't know why I didn't think of them before. Thanks Dom90 for putting up his my insanity! I appreciate it, lol.

OP
SilverMIssy

SilverMIssy

Ok so it's not a false positive. Still reading .50 ppm ammonia 24 hours later but now there are .25 nitrites present! Finally!

Should I do an extra dose of stability? I don't want to do another pwc and get rid of those nitrites I worked so hard for.

OP
SilverMIssy

SilverMIssy

Ok, my nitrites are higher but so is my ammonia. My ammonia is at 1ppm.

I double doses stability last night and dosed again just now. I feel that level is really high. What should I do?

And it's not because I'm over feeding him because nothing he eat falls to the bottom. He eats it all before that happens.

It's also not my tap water because it tested 0 ppm for ammonia.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Could be what's in Stability that's causing ammonia levels to increase. Since it contains bacteria, it must also contain some "food" for this bacteria. Do your fish look stressed? (Red gills, heavy breathing, lethargic)

OP
SilverMIssy

SilverMIssy

No red gills or heavy breathing but he was a lot less active. Just slowly drifting around.

In a panic, I did a 25% change again and he livened up right after. Whether that's from the oxygenated water I'm not sure but he's back to his old self.

I tested again although I know my results won't be 100% accurate and the nitrites are back to 0 ppm :'( but my ammonia is .25-50 ppm.

MtnTiger

Well Known
I hate to tell you this as it was mentioned earlier but you really need to be using Prime in addition to the Stability.

Good luck.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Yep, since it's made by Seachem also, it works hand in hand with Stability.

OP
SilverMIssy

SilverMIssy

I was looking at my apI root tables for my plants and noticed it had 0.19% ammoniacal nitrogen. Could that have caused my ammonia levels to rise? I put them in on Wednesday.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
SilverMIssy said:
I was looking at my apI root tables for my plants and noticed it had 0.19% ammoniacal nitrogen. Could that have caused my ammonia levels to rise? I put them in on Wednesday.
That's very possible, maybe you should hold off on dosing or putting those in until after your cycle is finished? Your ammonia is supposed to drop off over time, not stay the same.

OP
SilverMIssy

SilverMIssy

MtnTiger said:
Root tabs only need to added only ever 3-4 months as I recall.
It is a new tank so I put two in. Good to know it will last me that long though! They're low light plants anyway so they don't need much

New Threads