Water changes

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by crystalm04, Jul 12, 2015.

1. crystalm04

crystalm04 Valued Member Member

I just want to make sure I'm doing my water changes correctly and that I'm adding the right stuff to it. Right now I've been doing my water changes weekly and I suction out about 25% of the water from a different section of my tank, Pick up where I left off at next water change unless I see a very dirty spot. Once a month I take out my decorations and rinse them off in aquarium water as well as my filter. I use a water conditioner every time and a bacteria supplement. Should I be adding the bacteria supplement during every water change and also is there something I may be missing to add?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

There's no need to use bacteria supplement if you rinse with old tank water. You are doing water changes correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

you won't need a bacterial supplement for the aquarium. Most of the bacteria colony lives in the filter. The rest of it seems fine.

4. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Awesome thanks guys. The reason I bought the bacteria supplement was to start off my new tank cycle. I just wasn't sure if I should continue to use it or not. The bottle says to use with every water change but I just wasn't sure of that. I did not want to overdo it.

5. Dom90

You can if you want but it's not necessary. But if you have a bottle with no use, you might as well. Wouldn't hurt

6. LiterallyHydro

Honestly it's just marketing. They are trying to get you to use the product continuously so you have reason to use it after the initial cycle. It's totally unnecessary though.

7. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Yes I do have a huge bottle and since my tank isn't but almost a week old I guess Ill just continue to use it until its all gone. Thank you.

8. Dom90

Well, unless you get hit with MTS and decide to get a couple more tanks. Then you may want to just save the bottle for future use.

9. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

I think I've already fell victim to MTS. Three tanks in less than two months. hahaha. Think I might need an intervention.

10. Dom90

I think I am worse... Three tanks within a month's time...

11. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

And boy oh boy would I love to one day have some cichlids!! you see.... INTERVENTION!!! LOL

12. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Yes you got me beat by a week! hahaha.

13. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

If you have readings of 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and under 20 Nitrates (under 40 not so bad), then I would not worry about adding the bacterial additive. Chances are if the label says it should be added with every water change, it does not contain the necessary bacteria needed to sustain the cycle to begin with.

Bacterial Additives such as Tetra Safe Start (TSS) is a one time event. With others, you may be wasting your $$$.

Nothing beats fresh water for your fish. You can always change out 50 to 75% or more during your water change. The larger amount the better. This will also aid in preventing Old Tank Syndrome.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=214

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...p-up-water-changes-your-fish.html#post1290981

Best wishes for your tank and fish! Keep us posted with your progress.

Ken :) (Thread moved to Aquarium Water/Water Changes section of the forum)

14. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Good morning and thank you for your help. My 37 gallon tank that is almost a week old is the one I'm mainly concerned about at the moment. I did get a reading on it a few days ago of a .25 ammonia level. Thant was during a bacteria bloom. I did a water change on it and the cloudiness cleared up some. I tested it yesterday using my master test kit and my ammonia was very hard to distinguish if it was 0 or still .25 it was very hard to tell with the color chart. Looked like it was barely right in the middle of of 0 and .25. my nitrites were 0 and im getting a 0 reading for my nitrates as well so that leads me to believe its not done cycling. my ph is at a 7.5 so that's good. I've heard a lot of good things about the TSS but think I'm going to just let it do its thing for now. My water is looking a little hazy again today so Ill test it and see were I'm at before I do a water change. Thank you for your help.

Thank you also for the articles about old tank syndrome. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  15. LiterallyHydro

Sounds like you are on the right track. Don't worry about the algae bloom in the water, that's pretty common with new tanks and will go away on its own.

If you can't tell between 0 and .25, it's safer to err on the side of caution and do a water change instead of assuming it's 0.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice