Water Changes

1. cbowlincatfish

cbowlincatfish Valued Member Member

I have been using Spring water in my tank but I am having to clean my tank more often since I am
    feeding my fish more often and my nitrates are high. Does any one know of a less expensive way of water replacement, our tap water is really bad here.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Have you tried using tap water? What happened?

3. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

IMO with a 55 gallon tank you should invest in a RO/DI filter. I am not sure what you are paying per gallon of spring water but it has to add up when doing water changes on a regular basis. Also the hassle of having to go buy the water and lug it in and out. I am not sure what your budget is but you can get a good RO for not that much online ($129 - $199). It would for sure pay for itself in the long run of things. If I had to guess I would say that with you using a RO/DI machine at home would produce better water quality than spring water that is sold at stores.

4. marine590622

marine590622 Well Known Member Member

5. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

6. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

Extreme chloritation and ammonia, I can use the tap but the owner ofone of the pet store I go to told me to use 3x the amount of Prime to keep my fish safe. I just got a new Sepik Rainbow an don't want to lose it but need to change water again.

7. Siggi

Siggi Well Known Member Member

I use spring water in my tanks, but here it's cheap (less than a Euro per 5liter bottle) and I order over the internet and they bring the stuff home, including the water...
    But you have to grab your calculator and see if it's worth it, given the price of spring water and the price of the RO-filter of 200$...

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

starhanging.gif I have deleted the post above due to the fact the Original Poster and yourself (Marine590622) have under 50 posts and the information provided belongs in the Buy/Sell/Trade/Free (B/S/T/F)section of the forum. Until you both have reached 50 helpful informative posts to the forum, the B/S/T/F is off limits.

Please continue to make helpful informative posts to the forum and you'll both reach 50 in no time. Posting to simply boost your post count will be frowned upon.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/buy-sell-trade-free/1473-classifieds-buy-sell-trade-rules.html

Thanks!

Ken

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

10. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I'm not sure that RO/DI is necessary for a FW system. Yes, RO/DI is great, but one must also appreciate that there is generally a need to re-buffer the water.

Here's a recent thread about RO, https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/reverse-osmosis-deionization/132453-reverse-osmosis.html

When you say extreme chlorination and ammonia, how much are we talking? (particularly the ammonia aspect)
    The chlorination can easily be accounted for using carbon filters, like you'd use in a drinking water filter.
    And the ammonia, use a DI filter like the API one (http://www.marinedepot.com/Aquarium...icals_API_MARS_Fishcare-AP4111-FIRODI-vi.html)

I'm not disputing the benefit of RO/DI (I use RO/DI for my reef), but for a Freshwater system, I don't think it's necessary (remembering that RO typically 'wastes' 4 gallons for every 1 gallon of good water).

Too, if you were to purchase Seachem Prime in bulk (by the gallon), how does that stack up, even if double/triple dosing?

Your other option could be distilled water (not sure if there's a big difference in price)

11. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

The price is the same between distilled and spring. I may try a mix of spring and tap and see how that works, any thoughts.

12. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

With distilled and spring water you lose some of the minerals your fish need.
    As Ryan said what are the readings for ammonia and chlorination from the tap?
    I buy Prime by the gallon on line for $70 and it lasts me at least a year. http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/seachem-prime.html
    Not having to buy water could pay for the prime in short order.

Why are you feeding your fish more and nessitating more water changes. If more feeding is causing the need for more water changes maybe you're feeding too much.
    carol

13. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Might pond prime be a good choice for the job?

I would work with what you have - if you run into trouble then take the necessary steps to correct it, but I wouldn't just assume that you will have problems with the tap water.

14. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

I haven't tested the tap water, going by others in the area. I did just feed my fish 2x a week then I got an ADF an put in the tank and had to feed daily, also it was my understanding from most conversations on this website that 2x a week feeding wasn't enough, that it should be daily. Now it causes weekly tank cleanings instead of every 2-3 weeks

15. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Weekly partial water changes are good because they restore minerals and oxygen in your tank.
    Carol

16. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

Thanks