Water Changes With Fish In Tank

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a question about water changes. When I do a %30 or %50 water change in my 5gal , I use water conditioner. Is it okay to keep the fish in the tank while you do water changes or does the tank have to cycle again when you new water(+conditioner)

Thanks

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes you can leave the fish. Better not to take it out. The bacteria doesn't live in the water, but in the filter and on surfaces in the tank. So the cycle will be fine with the water changes. Make sure to match the temperature of the new water.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your tank should be cycled before adding fish. Weekly water changes ensure a fresh clean enviornment for them. no need to remove the fish. Also when you clean your filter be sure to only rinse it in old tank water in a bucket not your tank and never use tap water.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blueberrybetta said:
I have a question about water changes. When I do a %30 or %50 water change in my 5gal , I use water conditioner. Is it okay to keep the fish in the tank while you do water changes or does the tank have to cycle again when you new water(+conditioner)

Thanks
Yes it's okay to keep fish in the tank with water changes, just be sure to mix the water conditioner in a bucket with the replacement water then pour it in. No you don't have to re-cycle your tank every time.

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Feohw said:
Yes you can leave the fish. Better not to take it out. The bacteria doesn't live in the water, but in the filter and on surfaces in the tank. So the cycle will be fine with the water changes. Make sure to match the temperature of the new water.
Okay thanks ! I was checking because I know taking them out constantly will stress them out

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The'll be fine, I do the same when doing W/C, I never take the fish out.

Johnnybelfastboy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blueberrybetta said:

Thanks
Yes keep the fish in at all times. My fish l9ve to swim in the current as i pour fresh water in. Water changes will not upset the cycle of ur tank all the good bactera lives in your filter and substrate and if you just have a 5 gal tank i would just do 30% water changes and once your tank is cycled it will be cycled forever unless you have a serious crash

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom