Water changes with buckets...

1. Andrew Sackett Member Member

I was wondering if there were any better ways to do water changes without having to lift buckets there and back, I don't have the money for a water changer hose and if I did how would I decholrinate the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If you're handy at Diy you could make your own python type water changer, there are lots of videos on how to on YouTube.
    You can put the dechlorinator straight in the tank rather than the buckets.

3. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

+1 above.

Be sure that if you dechlorinate the tank, dose for the WHOLE tank volume, not just the water you're adding.

4. Prep8611 Member Member

Ya i made mine out of fittings and an rv drinkable hose. Cost me 25 bucks but it could be done cheaper. Water changes are a breeze now. I actually like doing them cause its so little work.

5. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Why dose the whole tank won't you just be dechlorinating water that's already dechlorinated? Please correct me if I'm wrong I still have a lot to learn

6. FiscCyning Member Member

If you add dechlorinator to the bucket of untreated water then you only have to add enough for that bucket, but if you're adding it to the tank then you have to add enough for the whole tank so that the concentration is enough to treat the new water. So yes, you are treating already treated water, but you are also ensuring that the water that does need to be treated gets enough dechlorinator. If you really want to save on dechlorinator just add it to the buckets before pouring the water in the tank, then you only have to add enough for the new water.

7. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Oh ok thanks

8. fishingdeep Member Member

Why not like Buckets of aged water? The other part of the post really leads me back to your original post. So you can't buy a pump to age your water?

9. FiscCyning Member Member

10. matsungit Well Known Member Member

11. Andrew Sackett Member Member

I also don't really have the room for buckets of water or the amount of buckets I would need, it has crossed my mind a couple of times though

12. fishingdeep Member Member

Why not treat the water and not the fish..... oh gee, they live in! So are you saying aging water is bad ?

13. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Too bad my water is too foul to use in an aquarium, I am stuck with RO, and buckets.

14. Andrew Sackett Member Member

That sucks, I live in Seattle so I've never really experienced that, does RO add more work?

15. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Well, you can't use python. But mainly it is just that the filter can only process water so fast. So it forces you to store it ahead of time, in order that it is available when you need it.

But in reality, I python would be useless to me, all my tanks are small, and it would be more trouble than its worth. But I have a lot of little tanks and jars and change about 40 gallons of water every day, it is rather time consuming.

16. fishingdeep Member Member

Do what you do, and say what you say I don't live there, I may have caught a different link. Sorrry